Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet connection through VPN

hariydnets
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

Is it possible to access the internet connection through a VPN? 

Router B(WAN2) connects to Router A(WAN2) via ethernet cable with a VPN tunnel. router A(WAN1) connects to ISP fiber broadband. Router B WAN1 is not connected to any ISP. Will users on Router B get the internet?

The router is RV340. 

10 Replies 10

Hello,

just for my understanding: what is the VPN tunnel for if there is no Internet on Router B ?

Either way, you would need to add the traffic coming from Router B to any NAT configuration on Router A, other than that, users on Router B should be able to access the Internet through Router A...

Hi,

Thanks for your email.

Looking to create a local VPN with Router B(WAN2) connect to Router A(WAN2)
via ethernet cable. Is this scenario possible or not.

Hello,

definitely possible, all you need is an IP address on both routers, it doesn't have to be a public IP. Are both RV340 routers ?

Hi All,

Yes, Both are RV340. And only one has an ISP connection.

Hello,

what do you need help with, the exact setup of a VPN connection between both routers ?

Check page 84 of the attached admin guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/RV340/Administration/EN/b_RV340x_AG.pdf

Hi All,

Thanks for your email.

I want to make sure that the computers which are connected in the router
will get the internet connection through the VPN.

And please share the configuration for the same.

Hello,

you need to set up the VPN using the GUI on both RV340 routers. You don't need to configure anything on the computers themselves. Try and get the VPN connection up and running first...

I believe that @Georg Pauwen asks a good question when he asks why you are planning a VPN on this connection. If the 2 RV340 are connected by an Ethernet connection then a simple routed subnet on that connection would allow computers at the second router to access the Internet using the ISP on the first router. Using VPN adds complexity to the implementation and I wonder if it adds any real value?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

Thanks for getting back.

The 2 routers are physically placed in different offices. The ethernet
cable between them runs through public/common areas. It is for security
reason to prevent foul play that a VPN tunnel is deployed.

So please let me know is this scenario is possible or not.

Thank you for the clarification. To answer your basic question yes it is possible to connect two routers with VPN and for users on router B to access the Internet via the VPN to router A and then out to the Internet. I am not familiar with the RV340 and there might be some things about it that could impact this. Georg has provided a link to some Cisco documentation about this and based on this I believe that you should be successful in setting this up.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card