Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet Router Interface Bandwidth

pat.mchenry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

We are looking to replace out Internet routers in the near future. We are thinking we will replace out ASR1000s with ASR1000-Xs. We would like to have the option to upgrade our bandwidth as the need arises - currently we have 2 Internet providers with 1G each, but in the coming year that might need to increase. In researching, the 1000-Xs come with 6, 1G ports and 2, 10G ports. We would like to design the network to have all links of equal bandwidth - meaning if the Internet facing port is 10G, we will make our Firewall facing port 10G. That leaves us no more ports for our iBGP connection between our Internet routers....and it doesn't appear that Cisco offers a 1 or 2 port, 10G module for expansion. 

Ultimately I have a couple of questions:

If we do upgrade our circuits to some interval between 1G and 10G would it be appropriate to have an iBGP connection between Internet routers that is slower than the other ports?

Also, could we bundle the 6 remaining 1G ports with an either channel between the Internet routers and shape that bundle to the same bandwidth as our Internet connect? 

Thank you, Pat

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Pat

Yes, you can bundle them together with a port-channel, or you can use them as separated routed links and using ECM.

As for shaping on a port-channel I haven't done it, but I suppose it should work. If not, use as many links that equals with the bandwidth to the provider, example if you have 4 gig to the provider, then use 4 links.

/Mikael

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Pat

Yes, you can bundle them together with a port-channel, or you can use them as separated routed links and using ECM.

As for shaping on a port-channel I haven't done it, but I suppose it should work. If not, use as many links that equals with the bandwidth to the provider, example if you have 4 gig to the provider, then use 4 links.

/Mikael

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card