cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS to be copied from FTP server but the FTP is not pingable

girish_p1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a switch at a site and I need to copy IOS from the FTP server, but the FTP server's IP is not pinging from the switch. Can anyone help me what needs to be done to copy the IOS from FTP to the switch or is there any other way (like copying it on router and then on the switch). Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cofee
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

You mentioned you are not able to ping the FTP server from the switch, so can you check if there is connectivity between the switch and router? is there any firewall in between that might be blocking icmp or ftp packets? You can try to telnet into the ftp server from the switch over port 21 "telnet x.x.x.x 21" and that would tell you if you have reachability from the switch to the ftp server and if needed you can also specify the source address  on the switch.

You can also try to copy the file first on a router or switch that is at local site where the ftp server is located and then switch can pull the image from the device.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

cofee
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

You mentioned you are not able to ping the FTP server from the switch, so can you check if there is connectivity between the switch and router? is there any firewall in between that might be blocking icmp or ftp packets? You can try to telnet into the ftp server from the switch over port 21 "telnet x.x.x.x 21" and that would tell you if you have reachability from the switch to the ftp server and if needed you can also specify the source address  on the switch.

You can also try to copy the file first on a router or switch that is at local site where the ftp server is located and then switch can pull the image from the device.

Yes. I found a firewall in between but I am still confused that how is it possible that the switch is pinging from the jump server and I am also able to login via SSH into the switch but rest all the devices are not pinging to the switch except the directly connected devices. One more thing, the jump server and the FTP server both have the same IP.

Jump servers are used to connect to other networks, so instead give access to the whole subnet/network you just allow the jump server to act like a middle man, more like a dmz set up.

Check the firewall it's quite possible that only certain ports are allowed between the switch and jump server. Use the packet tracer utility in firewall to simulate if the ftp traffic will be allowed or not. Below is an example:

packet-tracer input "nameif of source interface" tcp x.x.x.x 23456 x.x.x.x 21

Also, you can also try telnet into ftp server over ftp port from the switch and that would be a quick test. What about downloading the file from cisco as Leo has suggested?

Diana Karolina Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello!

Does the switch have the ip default gateway configured? you have to guarantee that the devices can see each other, you have to review if there is a routing problem or a missing route in order to you switch can reach the FTP.

Do not forget to rate useful post.

Best Regards,

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@girish_p1 wrote:

I need to copy IOS from the FTP server

Go to the Cisco website and copy the IOS file from there.  Copying the IOS from an appliance doesn't guarantee the file is corrupt once the file hits the FTP server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card