Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade

bradlesliect
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Is there a way to tftp / ftp an IOS directly from a cisco site? I can't tftp / ftp from my network. I am on a private network and the router is in the public internet space.

Anyone?

3 Replies 3

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

I believe not. Moreover, it is very risky to download the IOS via a uncontrollable link.

Even your router is in the Internet space but there should be a connection to let the router to connect back to the private network.

I suggest you download the file to your PC and setup a TFTP server (or another router) at the private side of the router then download it from there.

Or please provide more information on the connection of the router then we try to help.

Hope this helps.

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Brad

Do check the connectivity between your router and the remote end router i feel you should be having the connectivity between the routers (assuming both are having one of their interfaces placed in public network)

If you are sure that you are having enough space in the flash of your end router to accommodate the new file to be uploaded to the remote end router do put it on the flash of your router and pull the same from the remote end router using TFTP..

If you are not having enough space then i wont suggest to follow this process..

BTW the best way of doing upgradation or uploading ios code onto your router would be from the local lan so that you can avoid unnecessary disconnects during the same..

regds

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

No thats not possible.

Regards,

Ankur

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card