Views
Helpful
Replies

ip multicast-routing

vivexmail
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

As per my understanding every IGP like OSPF or EIGRP uses a multocast address for their hello packets.

So there is some process that underlies that allows multicast to pass through in cisco routers

My question , then why are we still typing in

# ip multicast-routing

in the config mode to enable multicasting ?

thanks

Viveknath

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Viveknath,

Using multicast does not necessarily mean it is routed, i.e. forwarded from one router's interface to another. Using multicast has its meaning even on a single network. Multicast packets are encapsulated into frames in such a way that they are processed only by those stations that have subscribed to the particular multicast group. Other stations will ignore those frames as if they have never arrived. The fact that OSPF or EIGRP or even RIPv2 use multicasts does not mean that their messages are routed. On the contrary, all these multicasts are addressed within the 224.0.0.x range which has a link-local scope - such packets may never be routed off the segment they were sent on. At most, they can be received and processed by the stations on this segment.

So routers can subscribe to multicast groups for, say, OSPF, and send/receive multicasts because they do it as hosts - they do not actually route the OSPF multicast. That is why we do not need to configure the multicast routing in this sense.

However, if you need to perform multicast routing, i.e. take a multicast stream by one interface and possibly replicate it out several other interfaces, including the signalling necessary to join or leave a multicast distribution tree, you need to activate specific support in IOS for that (allocate and create the multicast routing table, start the PIM and IGMP support, etc.) - hence the ip multicast-routing command.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

turnera
Level 1
Level 1

Certain multicast functions related to dynamic routing protocols, OSFP, EIGRP, etc are allowed by default. Link local multicasting is allowed for OSPF and EIGRP as part of the routers local communications.

However, if you wish to do IP multicasting you must enable that with the ip multicast-routing command and its associated configurations on the routers/switches you want to ip multicast to and from.

IP multicasting and link local multicasting are two different things.

Hello,

IP multicasting and link local multicasting are two different things. 

Nicely said! Sums up my own post nicely.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Viveknath,

Using multicast does not necessarily mean it is routed, i.e. forwarded from one router's interface to another. Using multicast has its meaning even on a single network. Multicast packets are encapsulated into frames in such a way that they are processed only by those stations that have subscribed to the particular multicast group. Other stations will ignore those frames as if they have never arrived. The fact that OSPF or EIGRP or even RIPv2 use multicasts does not mean that their messages are routed. On the contrary, all these multicasts are addressed within the 224.0.0.x range which has a link-local scope - such packets may never be routed off the segment they were sent on. At most, they can be received and processed by the stations on this segment.

So routers can subscribe to multicast groups for, say, OSPF, and send/receive multicasts because they do it as hosts - they do not actually route the OSPF multicast. That is why we do not need to configure the multicast routing in this sense.

However, if you need to perform multicast routing, i.e. take a multicast stream by one interface and possibly replicate it out several other interfaces, including the signalling necessary to join or leave a multicast distribution tree, you need to activate specific support in IOS for that (allocate and create the multicast routing table, start the PIM and IGMP support, etc.) - hence the ip multicast-routing command.

Best regards,

Peter

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

My question , then why are we still typing in

# ip multicast-routing

in the config mode to enable multicasting ?

Because it doesn't enable multicast packets, it enables multicast-routing.

Similar to a router using unicast packets (e.g. ping another IP host on a shared subnet) without IP routing being enabled.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card