cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Scanning Remote Site

tparrettcisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have a remote site connected to us with a Cisco 1941w router.  Equipment on this side is a 1941.  Working great.  I need to scan the remote site.  We only have a handful of devices there.  When I run Advanced IP Scanner from my desktop I get a response on every IP address scan.JPG

I'm sure this is something easy that I should know, but I don't.

How can I run a scan on the other network from my desktop and get accurate responses of the machines on that network. Thanks for your help.

9 Replies 9

Hello,

what do you mean by 'accurate responses of the machines on that network' ? What kind of data are you after ?

the screenshot shows that the replies I'm getting are all from the same mac address. I know that these are unused IP addresses and this is the router responding.

Hello

you can do a broadcast ping from the rtr is you desire

Every subnet will have a subnet address and broadcast address

example:

192.168.1.0/24 

subnet address 192.168.1.0

ip range 192.168.1.1 - 254

broadcast address - 192.168.1.255

if you ping 192.168.1.255 then you should get a reply from every host that is active in the network subnet

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

This is a good work around solution for me. Any idea why the router responds to every IP address that's unused?

Hello

@tparrettcisco wrote:
This is a good work around solution for me. Any idea why the router responds to every IP address that's unused?

Because the rtr has an interface in the same broadcast domain, this is basically its a crude way of broadcasting out on to that network subnet to see what hosts reply , Some hosts will some wont depending on the O/S on the host.

In the previous example above that is a broadcast address which means = to all hosts

Could even try 255.255.255.255 also.

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

mohammed01701
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

There is alot off tools that can scan another subnet remote but i am using this one:  https://www.netscantools.com/freeware.html whic is a free. Remember this tool is only Windows and there is a payment version, is upp to you to choose which you needed...

Are you using Windows desktop or onother?

/Mohammed

I was using Advanced IP Scanner on the screenshot above. I also own netscantools pro and love it. My problem is that the router is responding to all the unused IP addresses and I'm concerned the scan is not accurate.

Hi!

Are you sure those arddresses is not active, Now i downloaded the  Advanced IP Scanner and i only see the responded addresses?

Are you sure you are not changed the default settings?  click on the view and see if yours is a same like the picture:

Here are the settings I'm using on advanced ipscanner  

scrnsht1.jpg

and here's another look at the scan I did...this is just a clip

scrnsht2.jpg

as you can see I have 2 printers on the network that respond, but the MAC address is wrong on both and the other IP addresses I know are not in use.  This is a small facility and since starting this thread I verified what IP addresses were in use.  Within my current network the scanner works great and does it job.  It's just when I try to scan the remote site that it doesn't work correctly.  I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing on my router configs to allow this scan to work.

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card