Views
Helpful
Replies

ip sla icmp jitter operation

kamlesh yadav
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I am setting the IP SLA ICMP jitter operation on 3845 router with the following configuration,

ip sla 1
icmp-jitter 10.1.17.41 source-ip 10.1.255.29 num-packets 100
frequency 30

ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

ip sla reaction-configuration 1 react packetLoss threshold-value 5 1 threshold-type immediate

when i am shutting the respective interface connecting to the 10.1.17.41, packet loss counter is not increasing however i am able to see the no. of successes and failures.

Packet Loss: 0
Loss Periods Number: 0
Loss Period Length Min/Max: 0/0
Inter Loss Period Length Min/Max: 0/0
Number of successes: 10
Number of failures: 3

is there any configuration  part which i am missing for the packet loss? Need your help to resolve it ASAP.

Regards,

Kamlesh Yadav

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elliott Willink
Level 1
Level 1

Your IP SLA statistics will not report packet loss if the whole IP SLA operation failed (even if it failed due to packet loss) - If you want to prove it works you can try and induce some packet loss in the network and you will see it, but if you shut the whole interface down the operation will fail and you will see 0's in all the statistics (along with an overall RTT of noconnection/busy/timeout).

You will need at least 1 packet to succeed to see statistics - If they all fail, then the whole operation fails and there will be no stats (but you can use this IP SLA failure to trigger events anyway, so you should be able to work around this limitation)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Elliott Willink
Level 1
Level 1

Your IP SLA statistics will not report packet loss if the whole IP SLA operation failed (even if it failed due to packet loss) - If you want to prove it works you can try and induce some packet loss in the network and you will see it, but if you shut the whole interface down the operation will fail and you will see 0's in all the statistics (along with an overall RTT of noconnection/busy/timeout).

You will need at least 1 packet to succeed to see statistics - If they all fail, then the whole operation fails and there will be no stats (but you can use this IP SLA failure to trigger events anyway, so you should be able to work around this limitation)

Thanks Elliott for your prompt response.I got the answer for my query.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card