Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA problem

jakehurst
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a client who wants to have multiple connections to the internet, with automatic fail-over.. they have an ADSL connection and a cable connection to their premises, which due to location can't get any service which would expose routing protocols to the cisco 2611 router they have. I have been attempting to get IP SLA working on this router for the last 2 months (on and off), I'm at a loss as to why it refuses to work, initially the issue was that default IOS doesn't seem to support IP SLA features required, so after upgrading them to ADV Security, the IP SLA features seem to work correctly, but the IcmpEchos used to track the connection state on the two interfaces don't seem to function correctly. It appears to route all traffic over the primary connection (ADSL), because as soon as the ADSL/POTS line is pulled ip sla monitor status reports both monitors down, but if DSL is up and the Fastethernet0/1 is pulled only the cable connection reports down. I have attached the current configuration, with a couple of minor edits to remove encrypted passwords...

I haven't worked on any of the traffic routing yet. I will need to make sure SMTP traffic goes out the DSL connection all the time unless down, although at this point as long as the failover starts working I don't care about the rest.

5 Replies 5

webbytech
Level 1
Level 1

I only see a ip route for Dialer1 which would be the ADSL. Have you tired adding

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet0/1

With different metrics ofcourse?

OOPS, I forgot I removed those entries... ignore the current default route defination, when I was testing it last night these were

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dialer1 track 10

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fastethernet0/1 200 track 20

Have you tried load balancing it without the IP SLA? Meaning set the default route with a low metric and then theo ther with a slightly higher metric. That way only the main route will be used unless its down.

I've tried that, it doesn't seem to work correctly, routing becomes unreliable.. in that sometimes replies come back, other times requests don't do anything.

It seems that all traffic is NATed to dealer1 interface, I would use policy based routing NAT with advanced object tracking and event manager.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card