Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSEC questions

alanchia2000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Does QM_IDLE mean that phase 1 & phase 2 has been established?
Or does it just mean phase 1 have been established?

cisco-pre-mmh#show cry isa sa
IPv4 Crypto ISAKMP SA
dst             src             state          conn-id status
10.2.0.1      200.84.0.30     QM_IDLE           1047 ACTIVE

Does the following command show that phase2 is established? Or is this the right command to use?
If I am unable to connect to the remote encryption domain, I would like to be able to tell if the problem was in phase 2 or was the remote host.

cisco-pre-mmh#show cry session
Crypto session current status

Interface: GigabitEthernet1
Session status: DOWN
Peer: 200.84.0.30 port 500
  IPSEC FLOW: permit ip host 10.2.0.60 host 192.168.101.52
        Active SAs: 0, origin: crypto map

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"show cry isa sa" only shows phase 1, so it only indicates that phase 1 is established.

"show crypto ipsec sa" will show you the phase 2 results.  You want to see that it has negotiated a compatible set of crypto settings.

Am I right in saying that once you see a set of negotiated crypto settings in "show cry ipsec sa". That means phase 2 is up? What if the encryption domain is wrong? Would phase 2 be still up?

Correct, if you see a negotiated set of settings in "show crypto ipsec sa" phase 2 is up.

What if the encryption domain is wrong?  A slightly more complex question.  The devices can negotiate a more restrictive encryption domain if the two domains have some overlap but are different, but otherwise if there is no overlap it will fail to negotiate phase 2 and nothing will show up as negotiated in "show crypto ipsec sa".

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Actually the "Active SAs: 0" indicates phase 2.  And in this case, there is no active phase 2.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card