Views
Helpful
Replies

Is flash memory mandatory for ISR4331?

scut00
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone

I have a 4331 that was rescued from an upgrade process on a local datacenter, and they say it was working before removing it from production.

I now have a problem with it, not being able to boot it up no matter what I try.

It gives me the following log from the usb console:

Initializing hardware...

System integrity status: 00000610

Rom image verified correctly

System Bootstrap, Version 15.4(3r)S5, RELEASE SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1994-2015  by cisco Systems, Inc.

Current image running: Boot ROM0

Last reset cause: PowerCycleRequest

%ERROR: Critical device not found on 00:02.00

%WARNING: Resetting...

Power cycling .......

I tried to get into ROMMON, using all the tips and tricks that I could find online, and also checked the serial for the "clock component failure" with this units and mine is not affected.

So I was thinking, is the internal Flash Card mandatory? because the is none but the unit was still sealed.

Thank you for your help and your time.

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
%ERROR: Critical device not found on 00:02.00

Looks to me device failed - if you have contract you can ask RMA

So I was thinking, is the internal Flash Card mandatory?  - check what flash card you referring here install guide, if that was removed and it effects the device also.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/4400/hardware/installation/guide4400-4300/C4400_isr/FRUs_Modules.html#93750

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yeah device failure is a possibility, but I can't get an RMA

The thing is I feel like it doesn't get the break command when I try to get into ROMMON, and I can't figure out what PCIe device is missing because it has a non-descriptive name

if you don't have contract to RMA

Open the Cover and check is all the Flash is in place as per the installation guide.

Personally, I believe the hardware failed.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

IF the router is in ROMMON, post the complete output to the following command: 

1. dir flash:
  2. set

The flash, specifically eFlash, is soldered into the motherboard.  On top of the eFlash is an eFlash "slot" for expansion.  
This could mean that someone may have tinkered with the config-registry so the router will boot immediately into ROMMON.

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

IF the router is in ROMMON, post the complete output to the following command: 

1. dir flash:
  2. set

The flash, specifically eFlash, is soldered into the motherboard.  On top of the eFlash is an eFlash "slot" for expansion.  
This could mean that someone may have tinkered with the config-registry so the router will boot immediately into ROMMON.

Hi, thanks for you reply.

Actually the biggest problem is that I cannot get into ROMMON, but just see it power cycle.

I tried multiple serial connection clients, multiple OS and wrote a kotlin script to spam the break command to the serial port, but with no success. If only I could get to ROMMON, I'm sure this would be more clear.

Do you have any tips on how to get into ROMMON? I think I'm doing something wrong or missing something

Depends on the console application and the console cable. 

From putty it is possible to send a Break command during boot-up.

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

Depends on the console application and the console cable. 

From putty it is possible to send a Break command during boot-up.

I tried putty, minicom, and also wrote a custom console in kotlin only to try and get it working. Is it possible that the cable I'm using does interfere with the sending of the break command while letting me see the console output? Because is a chep usb cable that I had, but if you think it can be the issue I can try buy a new one.

ISR 4k has a mini-USB console port.  Use that.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card