Views
Helpful
Replies

ISP Failover or Redundancy for internet access

Kuldeep singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

There are four figures(A,B,C,D) shown in attached diagram.

my aim to achieve wan side failover, mean to say,

if one ISP or Router goes down, the other should

still be reachable.

Cisco 2960 = L2 Switch

Cisco 3560 = L3 Switch

Here I am discussing only two redundancy methods i.e

Floating Static route and IP SLA. There are folllowing

questionnaires related to attached  diagram given below,

plz give me answers in Yes or No options, if yes, then

guide me how to do, just give me short idea with config :

RedunFail.JPG

Figure A:

1. Floating static route (Yes or No)

2. IP SLA (Yes or No)

Figure B:

2. IP SLA ( Yes or No)

Figure C:

2. IP SLA ( Yes or No)

Figure D:

2. IP SLA ( Yes or No)

In Figiure A and B, both LAN side subnet are same

In Figure C and D, Both LAN side subnet are different

Note : Plz do not discuss HSRP or any routing Protocol in this post....

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jan Hrnko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi again Kuldeep!

First of all - I would like to know what is behind Switches. I will assume that there are host machines, because if there were some other Routers, things will become more complex.

Moreover, it is pity that we can't use routing protocols here, it would ease the configuration like a lot .

Figure A:

I hate to say it but Figure A is a typical HSRP/GLBP scenario - I will tell you why and then leave it, because you suggested we should not use HSRP in this thread.

You have common IP LAN subnet. Therefore all host machines that are attached to the Switch have to have default gateway configured. But what if one of the gateways become unavaible? Or the link to ISP becomes unavaible? There is no other way to fight this problem than FHRP protocols.

Let's think of following scenario: Router 1 will work, but his link towards ISP1 goes down. Router 1 will still be default gateway for hosts, but can't forward traffic to the internet. So it could have floating static route defined to Router2 and IF Router2 have its connection to ISP2 up - it will forward the traffic instead Router1. But as you see - FHRP would solve the problem better. Now the traffic still have to be sent to Router 1 and then back through LAN to Router 2 to be forwarded to ISP.

So => 1. Floating static route - Could be, but:

But think of this scenario with ONLY floating static routes defined. Router1 has FSR to Router2 and Router2 to Router1 in case of failure of link towards ISPs. But what if both links on R1-ISP1 and R2-ISP2 go down? The traffic will loop between Router1 and Router2 until TTL expires. This is because Router1 is trying to forward all traffic to Router2 because of the static route - Router2 is doing precisely the same. This is a rare scenario - but can occur.

2. IP SLA - Yes, you could improve Floating static route combining it with IP SLA. You will configure floating static route on Router 1 towards Router 2, but Router 1 will monitor Router's2 link towards ISP. Then the floating static route will come up only if the IP SLA test is passed. In such case you will prevent loops in case that both the links to ISPs goes down.

Very brief example (can have some mistakes ):

R1(config)# ip sla 11

R1(config-ip-sla)# icmp-echo 125.36.56.45

R1(config-ip-sla-echo)# frequency 10

R1(config-ip-sla-echo)# exit ! 2x

R1(config)# track 1 ip sla 11 reachability

R1(config-track)# delay down 10 up 1

R1(config-track)# exit

R1(config)# ip sla schedule 11 life forever start-time now

R1(config)# ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.3 253 track 1

And I would do similar configuration on Router2.

Explanation:

The first step in this configuration defines the probe.

Probe 11 is defined by the ip sla 11 command.

The test defined with the icmp-echo 125.36.56.45 command specifies that the ICMP echoes are sent to destination 125.36.56.45 to check connectivity.

The frequency 10 command schedules the connectivity test to repeat every 10 seconds.

The ip sla schedule 11 life forever start-time now command defines the start and end time of the connectivity test for probe 11; the start time is now and it will continue forever.

The second step defines the tracking object, which is linked to the probe from the first step.

The track 1 ip sla 11 reachability command specifies that object 1 is tracked; it is linked to probe 11 (defined in the first step) so that the reachability of the 125.36.56.45 is tracked.

The last step defines an action based on the status of the tracking object.

The ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.3 254 track 1 command conditionally configures the default route, via 10.1.1.1, with an administrative distance of 2, if the result of tracking object 1 is true.

Thus, if 125.36.56.45 is reachable, a static default route via 192.168.1.3with an administrative distance of 253, is installed in the routing table.

Figure B:

Ok I'm not sure if this Switch is also L3 enabled, or just L3 capable and it is behaving like L2 switch.

If its behaviour is L2 - same as Figure A

If its behaviour is L3 and it is doing routing - you could configure IP SLA + Floating static routes in similar manner like in Fig A.

Switch should have two floating static routes and two IP SLA probes defined.

Figure B:

1. Floating static route - NOt alone

2. IP SLA - Yes, with floating static route

Example:

Switch(config)# ip sla 11

Switch(config-ip-sla)# icmp-echo 78.22.33.3

Switch(config-ip-sla-echo)# frequency 10

Switch(config-ip-sla-echo)# exit ! 2x

Switch(config)# ip sla 22

Switch(config-ip-sla)# icmp-echo 125.36.56.45

Switch(config)# track 1 ip sla 11 reachability

Switch(config-track)# delay down 10 up 1

Switch(config-track)# exit

Switch(config)# track 2 ip sla 22 reachability

Switch(config)# ip sla schedule 11 life forever start-time now

Switch(config)# ip sla schedule 22 life forever start-time now

Switch(config)# ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.2 2 track 1

Switch(config)# ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.3 3 track 2

Figure C:

This one is a little bit tricky. Because you said that there are more different LAN networks. So there must be some VLANs. If connection between Routers and Switch is defined as trunk, you could have Inter VLAN routing going on, known as Router-On-A-Stick. If this is the case - it would be similar to Figure A.

If you don't have Inter VLAN routing in this scenario I can't think of any possible solution here. That's simply because Router1 would not be able to send anything to Router2 (if they were in different VLANs).

Figure D:

Similar to Figure B.

There could be some errors in the example configuration, if so - please feel free to correct me. Please don't take that as 100% accurate, ready to use in live network . Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Jan

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Kelvin Willacey
Level 4
Level 4

IP SLA looks like the only thing that will work for you with the layer 3 switch option. The default route tracking will have to be done on the layer 3 switch.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html

http://www.firewall.cx/cisco-technical-knowledgebase/cisco-routers/813-cisco-router-ipsla-basic.html

Jan Hrnko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi again Kuldeep!

First of all - I would like to know what is behind Switches. I will assume that there are host machines, because if there were some other Routers, things will become more complex.

Moreover, it is pity that we can't use routing protocols here, it would ease the configuration like a lot .

Figure A:

I hate to say it but Figure A is a typical HSRP/GLBP scenario - I will tell you why and then leave it, because you suggested we should not use HSRP in this thread.

You have common IP LAN subnet. Therefore all host machines that are attached to the Switch have to have default gateway configured. But what if one of the gateways become unavaible? Or the link to ISP becomes unavaible? There is no other way to fight this problem than FHRP protocols.

Let's think of following scenario: Router 1 will work, but his link towards ISP1 goes down. Router 1 will still be default gateway for hosts, but can't forward traffic to the internet. So it could have floating static route defined to Router2 and IF Router2 have its connection to ISP2 up - it will forward the traffic instead Router1. But as you see - FHRP would solve the problem better. Now the traffic still have to be sent to Router 1 and then back through LAN to Router 2 to be forwarded to ISP.

So => 1. Floating static route - Could be, but:

But think of this scenario with ONLY floating static routes defined. Router1 has FSR to Router2 and Router2 to Router1 in case of failure of link towards ISPs. But what if both links on R1-ISP1 and R2-ISP2 go down? The traffic will loop between Router1 and Router2 until TTL expires. This is because Router1 is trying to forward all traffic to Router2 because of the static route - Router2 is doing precisely the same. This is a rare scenario - but can occur.

2. IP SLA - Yes, you could improve Floating static route combining it with IP SLA. You will configure floating static route on Router 1 towards Router 2, but Router 1 will monitor Router's2 link towards ISP. Then the floating static route will come up only if the IP SLA test is passed. In such case you will prevent loops in case that both the links to ISPs goes down.

Very brief example (can have some mistakes ):

R1(config)# ip sla 11

R1(config-ip-sla)# icmp-echo 125.36.56.45

R1(config-ip-sla-echo)# frequency 10

R1(config-ip-sla-echo)# exit ! 2x

R1(config)# track 1 ip sla 11 reachability

R1(config-track)# delay down 10 up 1

R1(config-track)# exit

R1(config)# ip sla schedule 11 life forever start-time now

R1(config)# ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.3 253 track 1

And I would do similar configuration on Router2.

Explanation:

The first step in this configuration defines the probe.

Probe 11 is defined by the ip sla 11 command.

The test defined with the icmp-echo 125.36.56.45 command specifies that the ICMP echoes are sent to destination 125.36.56.45 to check connectivity.

The frequency 10 command schedules the connectivity test to repeat every 10 seconds.

The ip sla schedule 11 life forever start-time now command defines the start and end time of the connectivity test for probe 11; the start time is now and it will continue forever.

The second step defines the tracking object, which is linked to the probe from the first step.

The track 1 ip sla 11 reachability command specifies that object 1 is tracked; it is linked to probe 11 (defined in the first step) so that the reachability of the 125.36.56.45 is tracked.

The last step defines an action based on the status of the tracking object.

The ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.3 254 track 1 command conditionally configures the default route, via 10.1.1.1, with an administrative distance of 2, if the result of tracking object 1 is true.

Thus, if 125.36.56.45 is reachable, a static default route via 192.168.1.3with an administrative distance of 253, is installed in the routing table.

Figure B:

Ok I'm not sure if this Switch is also L3 enabled, or just L3 capable and it is behaving like L2 switch.

If its behaviour is L2 - same as Figure A

If its behaviour is L3 and it is doing routing - you could configure IP SLA + Floating static routes in similar manner like in Fig A.

Switch should have two floating static routes and two IP SLA probes defined.

Figure B:

1. Floating static route - NOt alone

2. IP SLA - Yes, with floating static route

Example:

Switch(config)# ip sla 11

Switch(config-ip-sla)# icmp-echo 78.22.33.3

Switch(config)# ip sla 22

Switch(config-ip-sla)# icmp-echo 125.36.56.45

Switch(config)# track 1 ip sla 11 reachability

Switch(config)# track 2 ip sla 22 reachability

Switch(config)# ip sla schedule 11 life forever start-time now

Switch(config)# ip sla schedule 22 life forever start-time now

Switch(config)# ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.2 2 track 1

Switch(config)# ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.3 3 track 2

Figure C:

This one is a little bit tricky. Because you said that there are more different LAN networks. So there must be some VLANs. If connection between Routers and Switch is defined as trunk, you could have Inter VLAN routing going on, known as Router-On-A-Stick. If this is the case - it would be similar to Figure A.

If you don't have Inter VLAN routing in this scenario I can't think of any possible solution here. That's simply because Router1 would not be able to send anything to Router2 (if they were in different VLANs).

Figure D:

Similar to Figure B.

There could be some errors in the example configuration, if so - please feel free to correct me. Please don't take that as 100% accurate, ready to use in live network . Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Jan

Hi Jan,

Very good explanation.....I will try all solutions provided

by you and let you know thereafter.

FYI, I am using only host computers behind Switch.

Secondly, my main aim is to achieve ISP Failover

through various redundancy methods with proper

Managibility like as:

if isp1 goes down, all internet traffic should go through isp2.

then isp1 get back to normal, the internet traffic

should back to isp1.

My Questions is related to highlighted Red text

and given below three redundancy protocols:

-- Floating Static route

-- IP SLA

-- PBR with Route-Map

1. which is amongest these provide get back to

initial stage without any delay after Primary ISP

turned up.

2. If it takes time then, How much time will it take

to come back in initial stage.

3. Get back to initial stage process is Automatic or

manual.

4. which one does not provide Get back to Initial

stage. I think Floating static route. am i right

or wrong ?

Here initial stage means when ISP1 was running and

ISP2 used for Backup.

Hi Kuldeep,

1. which is amongest these provide get back to

initial stage without any delay after Primary ISP

turned up.

Floating static route

I think PBR should behave also this way (please check the link at the end of this post for PBR behaviour as I have not configured PBR for failover)

2. If it takes time then, How much time will it take

to come back in initial stage.

Floating static route, PBR - immediately

IP SLA(combined with floating static route) - depends on your configuration, but not immediate.

3. Get back to initial stage process is Automatic or

manual.

Floating static route - automatically

IP SLA(combined with floating static route) - automatically

PBR - automatically

4. which one does not provide Get back to Initial

stage. I think Floating static route. am i right

or wrong ?

Wrong - once a better route (with better AD) becomes available - is installed into routing table -> when interface to ISP becomes available and default route is defined as static (AD 1) and Floating static route has higher AD (worse), Router starts to use previous (better) route.

All of these solutions will get back to initial stage - IP SLA after some period of time.

I wouldn't recommend PBR as typical failover solution, but if you are interested in it, take a look here:

http://pierky.wordpress.com/2009/03/28/dual-wan-connection-on-cisco-with-policy-based-routing-pbr/

Best regards,

Jan

Hi Jan,

Just want to ask some question:

1)

We are using these types of redundancy protocols

for failover. As far as i have seen that these

protocols are usable for Multi site failure,

internet failure and etc. Suppose i am doing

work like banking transaction, FTP transfer or

any outside user access our inside server through

our public ip and this traffic being handled

by ISP1 either inside or outside and we also have

backup ISP2 for Failover.

Suppose at that time ISP1 goes down then what

will happen.Is it possible that my

connection will not break and i can easily do

Banking Transaction , FTP transfer and whatever ????

2)

If i have Network like given below diagram with two

different ISP wan link and i want to do Static NAT

of Internal same private ip "172.25.162.100" with public ip of

each ISP on Router like in this way:

ip nat inside source static 172.25.162.100  125.63.74.40

ip nat inside source static 172.25.162.100  78.55.66.23

is it possible ??? or any modification needed in commands ?

Hi Kuldeep,

1)

We are using these types of redundancy protocols

for failover. As far as i have seen that these

protocols are usable for Multi site failure,

internet failure and etc. Suppose i am doing

work like banking transaction, FTP transfer or

any outside user access our inside server through

our public ip and this traffic being handled

by ISP1 either inside or outside and we also have

backup ISP2 for Failover.

Suppose at that time ISP1 goes down then what

will happen.Is it possible that my

connection will not break and i can easily do

Banking Transaction , FTP transfer and whatever ????

I hope that someone more competent in this field will enter this thread, as I can share my opinions with you, but I have never really done this in production network.

If you think about this and remind basic rules of IP routing: Packet can take whatever route as long as IP addresses and ports stay the same, this should not be the problem.

However in your scenario you use 2 different public IP for NAT translation. So in this case - source IP address and port will change when the communication will take the other route. This is a problem and I think that the connection (session) will break.

2)

If i have Network like given below diagram with two

different ISP wan link and i want to do Static NAT

of Internal same private ip "172.25.162.100" with public ip of

each ISP on Router like in this way:

ip nat inside source static 172.25.162.100  125.63.74.40

ip nat inside source static 172.25.162.100  78.55.66.23

is it possible ??? or any modification needed in commands ?

I'm afraid that this is not possible. You cannot statically map one IP address to more IP addresses. How would the router know when to use one public IP and when the other? Maybe there is some workaround of this problem - but I can't think of any.

I will try to do some research, ask some people and I'll let you know.

Best regards,

Jan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card