Views
Helpful
Replies

ISP multihoming device recommendation

network_user
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am designing a dual local router ISP multihomed network and I need some recommendations on the edge routers and the distribution layer switches I should use in my design. Right now we have two 6509s as internet edge devices multihoming to two ISPs, with load sharing and failover (layer 2 and layer 3). I was thinking of using Cisco 7200 routers at the internet edge and Cisco 4500 series switches behind the router for layer 2 switching(ISP---7200series---4200 series). Current traffic pattern on my two 6509s is around 100Mbps on an average on each switch when they are load balancing.. and when one failovers to another it just doubles. So I need to make sure the devices I chose has enough throughput for my current requirements and future growth.

Any suggestions on what Routers/switches I should consider?

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

mgalazka
Level 1
Level 1

What are your reasons for moving away from the 6500 platform?

With regard to the 7200 series, I would consider the ASR 1000 series as an alternative.  If I recall correctly, the ASR's aren't too much different from the 7200 series in price, but the performance difference is astounding.  The following video is a great discussion of the processor in the ASR line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfvKhYPCJ9I

4500's are quite capable, especially with the SUP7E, they have great performance numbers.  Plus you can benefit from ISSU with dual sup's just like the 6500 series.

Hope this helps as initial input!

Matt

Hello Matt, thanks for your recommendation. The reason I was moving away from 6500 was that we are using 2 6509s as gateway routers since last 10-12 years and I have seen them to become slightly unstable. For eg: I reset the msfc2 of one of the 6509 and it got some old configuration mixed with new one on restart which was very strange. Also, I was thinking if I get the same performance from 7200/4500 it would be more economical... However if it is recommended that I should again go with new 6509 Sup7, I can do that as well.. I am not that confident with upgrading my current 6509s as they are so old and all the production traffic is going through it... Please comment/what are your thoughts....

This is not related to device recommendation, but I have another question...

Can I tap into my current ISP line? I have two ISPs at the moment.. and I am redesiging the Internet edge with new devices... can I tap into the same ISP connections until I move over all the traffic, or will I have to establish new links with the same/different ISP?

Thanks for all the response..

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card