cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4000 Series Router ONLY Booting to Its Original Image

bmtlibdist
Level 1
Level 1

I've tried uploading more recent images to the router and set them up in boot order, configuring the first to be the primary boot, and the second to be the backup boot image.  I don't think I'm using that right, but you all get what I'm saying.  And I made sure the boot registry is set to 0x2102.

No matter what, the router continues to boot only to the original image (isr4400-universalk9.03.13.02.S.154-3.S2-ext.SPA.bin).  I didn't even list it as one of the boot options.

I viewed the bootvar.  I shows the desired boot image and what I believe to be the correct registry.

BOOT variable = isr4400-universalk9_npe.16.10.01a.SPA.bin,1;isr4400-universalk9.
03.16.04a.S.155-3.S4a-ext.SPA.bin,1;
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
BOOTLDR variable does not exist
Configuration register is 0x2102

I went searching through bootlog 0.  Found A LOT of stuff I can't make sense of.  I also found this:

Kernel command line: root=/dev/ram rw console=ttyS2,9600n8 max_loop=64 pciehp.pciehp_force SR_BOOT=bootflash:/isr4400-universalk9.03.13.02.S.154-3.S2-ext.SPA.bin

I this working against me?  If so, how do I change it?  I ask because the preferred boot image is capable of using the NBAR package I uploaded to the router.

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post

dir bootflash:

what is the reason you want to add 2 images in to boot variable, if the reason for moving to new image, you need to set new image as bootable ( you can still hold old image in the bootflash, if required to role back)

so follow below steps :

no boot system flash  bootflash:isr4400-universalk9_npe.16.10.01a.SPA.bin,1;isr4400-universalk9.
03.16.04a.S.155-3.S4a-ext.SPA.bin,1;
boot system flash
bootflash:isr4400-universalk9_npe.16.10.01a.SPA.bin,1

write the config

Connect to console cable and capture complete boot and log and post the log any errors.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

What does ",1" do at the end of the command?  It's the first time I've seen that.  Other than that, I've entered those commands already.

you do not need that 1

boot system flash bootflash:isr4400-universalk9_npe.16.10.01a.SPA.bin
write config

check show boot, make sure you have boot varible set, reload and test

I have also noticed your output you do not have bootloader configured

BOOTLDR variable does not exist 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Starting with the ASR, the boot variable string for ASR and ISR 4K have "changed".
The syntax should be: boot system flash bootflash:filename.bin
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card