Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4331 Smart Licensing Query

JamesHawkins
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a customer who has purchased two ISR 4331 router bundles which include the UC software license. The show license command shows that these licenses are installed on the routers but no corresponding licenses were added to the customer Smart Account.

The routers are running 17.3 IOS-XE.

Is there some process to get the licenses installed on the routers into CSSM as Smart Licenses?

I have spent hours reading various articles and blogs and watching video guides but still have not found the answer to this question. Licensing should not be this hard!

Any help would be much appreciated.

4 Replies 4

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, 

The Cisco partner / supplier that the routers were purchased from should put the licenses into your Smart Account at Cisco Software Central. I specify this on all my quote and purchase requests. I'd start with them first and then follow up with your Cisco rep if you have one.

Hope this helps and good luck. I agree with you in that the licensing should not be this difficult.

Regards

Thanks for the response. The routers were bought by a different partner in a different country but I have been stuck with configuring them

I thought that there was a way of getting the installed licenses from the hardware - which is perpetual - into the smart account but I am beginning to think that I imagined it!

Hello!

It is possible to get the licences from the router to smart licensing. 

In the older versions of ios-xe the process was as follows:
Create a connection to smart licensing from the device (configure connection, license smart transport... )
Then input:
license smart conversion start

It depends on your version of the software.

BR

****Kindly rate all useful posts*****

Richard Pidcock
Level 1
Level 1

I would think that you could open at TAC case on the device for licensing and have the TAC team help you convert the perpetual license to a smart license into your Smart Account.  I assume you already have a smart account established.

Richard W. Pidcock
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card