Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 896VA

Geormili
Level 1
Level 1

Hello to all,

i am new to all this so excuse my "silly" questions.

I have bought a 896va router in order to place it after my isp routers (i have 2) with pppoe passthrough.

My problem is that despite that i read in the datasheet that the 890 series supports dual-wan in mine i can only see one GE-WAN port. 

There is a SFP where i suppose i can plug a GE SFP module but i downloaded my routers datasheet and i read that it supports 

1 GE-wan OR 1 SFP port. Does this means that i can only work with one or the other ?

In conclusion my basic question is : does my router supports dual wan and if it does how?

Thank in advance and excuse me if i raised this question in the wrong spot.

4 Replies 4

Hello,

I think the 896VA has1-port GE or 1‑port SFP for the first WAN connection, and a VDSL/ADSL2+ Annex B port for the second WAN connection.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

here is the product document for that model :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/800/hardware/installation/guide/800HIG.pdf

you can use other gigabit port for other ISP ? for pppoe

near by example : ( may be different your case , please clarify)

https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/dual-wan-pppoe/td-p/2578687

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@balaji.bandi  thnks for the link for the document. Here clearly  states that

" Either the SFP socket or the 10/100/1000 GE port can be active at a given time, but not both."

so it is not possible through the SFP port.

and yes i want to achieve exactly what is described in the second link.

But unfortunately i think i bought the wrong router.

@Georg Pauwen  through VDSL it means that i have to connect the phone cable at vdsl and get WAN through ISDN correct? but thats not over pppoe and thats not possible in my case because i want the telephony to remain on the isp router because.

I think i wanted the Cisco 892FSP  :(  .

Sorry i meant to say was ( you can use 1 presentation only) - not both, sorry for the confusion here.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card