Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR4451-X interface question, L3 to L2

Lazerunner22
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all

I have a Cisco ISR 4451 (4GE,3NIM,2SM,8G FLASH,4G DRAM) with 4GE interfaces. It is possible to change those interfaces from the layer 3 interface to the layer 2 interface?  If can do that, where I can find the support documents?

Many thanks

Robbie

ISR.jpg

6 Replies 6

Hi,

You can refer below document to configure the switch ports.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/interfaces/eesm/software/configuration/guide/4451_config.html

Rate my post if it is useful for you.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @Lazerunner22 ,

the built in GE interfaces should be layer3 only routed ports.

The router can host a module with L2 GE ports in a NIM slot.

see

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet-c78-732542.html#ISR4000InterfacesandModulesSupport

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Perhaps we need some clarification from Robbie about what he is attempting to achieve. Certainly there is some validity in the observation from @Giuseppe Larosa that normally interfaces on this router are layer 3 and not layer 2. But there are perhaps some other ways of looking at this question:

- it is possible to configure these interfaces to support dot1Q trunking. So would a trunk interface on the router qualify as a layer 2 configuration?

- using Integrated Routing and Bridging we can configure the GE interfaces to do bridging. Does bridging on the interfaces qualify as a layer 2 configuration?

The suggestion from @mohammedshahidali88 is for a switch module for the Service Module to have layer 2 capability. It seems to me that Robbie was asking about the installed GE interfaces rather than the Service Module. Perhaps Robbie can confirm that?

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

I have similar situation where I need port-channel for redundancy but need VLANs to cater for different network segments.  So, my scenario is pretty much what you described as 

"- it is possible to configure these interfaces to support dot1Q trunking. So would a trunk interface on the router qualify as a layer 2 configuration?"

According to this very old linkthere are several port-channel and dot1q limitations on ISR platform (but I would assume that is no longer true).

Running IOS XE 16.09.05 on a Cisco 4451-x with only the built-in Gig ports and ipbase image

Can't seem to find right documentation or pointers.

Update - I have configured Port-channel and dot1q trunk on built-in Gi0/0/1-3 ports on the ISR 4451 using IOS XE 16.09.5(r) and ipbaseK9.

Thanks for the update. Glad to know that you were successful in getting port channel and trunking to work.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card