cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IWAN / PfR

rays
Level 1
Level 1

Hi my customer has a branch location (A) with an MPLS WAN back to the primary DC. The branch A site has a direct connection to Branch B which has a lower bandwidth WAN link to the second DC.

We would like to make use of both WAN links by intelligently load balancing traffic based on application type and latency/bandwidth of the links. My question is do I require DMVPN in this scenario to enable iWAN, where both circuits are over MPLS and not over the public internet? I.e. is DMVPN  a pre-requisite for iWAN?

Also, they are currently running OSPF as their routing protocol... Will iWAN run over OSPF? 

All Cisco literature that I have seen shows both DMVPN and either iBGP or EIGRP as the routing protocol, being used. Just wondering if these are required or not. 

Any information would be great.

thanks

Ray

2 Replies 2

Personally for me, a network diagram is the best way to understand exactly what u have and what you expect your network to behave.

Now, i'm not sure whether I understood you network, but from my point of you, you can use your routers with OSPF for load-balancing (until they are not 7600 as it doesn't support per/packet load-balance).

Hi mate,

why don't you lab it up? Just download CSR 1000v 3.15 and build a quick virtual lab in VMware Workstation. In PfRv3 there is a concept of regional hub that you can place in branch A (with better connection to DC). Have DC as a central hub and branch B as a branch. Check PfRv3 DocWiki for details.

I haven't tried to run PfRv3 in OSPF environment, guess they have reasons to say BGP or EIGRP.... Luckily all our customers had already had DMVPN and BGP at the time of deployment. :-)

HTH

A.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card