cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

swicth unable to pass traffic

greg.berry
Level 1
Level 1

I have a SG 200 switch ip 10.1.50.x that is configured for all ports on the same default VLAN 1. Each host can ping one another over the LAN. My problem is the hosts cannot ping past the switch to a  cisco 1841 router. The fe0/1 port of the router is configured with two sub interfaces

sub interface 1= fe0/11 is configured with IP 10.1.50.x ( in which is the default gateway for the hosts).

The router cannot ping the IP address of the switch, so I am guessing there is a VLAN issue between the switch and router, this not being able to pass traffice

Any ideas where I should begin

2 Replies 2

e.ciollaro
Level 4
Level 4

If you configure subinterface on a router it will send traffic with 802.1q encapsulation. Have you configured trunk on switch port or the subinterf on router as "native" ? Otherwise it will discard ethernet frame

Bye,

e

PS please rate if useful

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

e.ciollaro has likely described what's the problem and solution.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card