cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Iwan simulation

NETAD
Level 4
Level 4

hi is it possible to simulate iwan/pfrv3 in a virtual lab environment like gns3?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

You can use cisco Virl (that's a tool like gns3 but more advanced) and you'll be able to use iwan (pfr features). 

In gns3, you can run cisco virtual router through vmware and attach them to your gns3 map. 

They're ways to use cisco Virl images to gns3 but not allowed by cisco. In any case to do that you'll need to buy Virl and then no value to not use Virl. 

And honestly, cisco Virl is a great tool with all official images. It's not free like gns3. 

There is also a cloud environnement at Cisco. 

Thanks 

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

You can use cisco Virl (that's a tool like gns3 but more advanced) and you'll be able to use iwan (pfr features). 

In gns3, you can run cisco virtual router through vmware and attach them to your gns3 map. 

They're ways to use cisco Virl images to gns3 but not allowed by cisco. In any case to do that you'll need to buy Virl and then no value to not use Virl. 

And honestly, cisco Virl is a great tool with all official images. It's not free like gns3. 

There is also a cloud environnement at Cisco. 

Thanks 

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

I was thinking to use CSR1000v actually but I read that it's only limited to 100kbps so might not work well with wan impairments. 

Your can check ISRv as well.

But honestly I recommend Virl or found a way (workaround) on GNS3.

Thanks
Francesco

I got on cisco dcloud last night and there are a pretty good lab on there so thanks for that. Do you know if it's also possible to spin the APIC-EM on a VM?

Yes APIC-EM can be in a VM:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/application-policy-infrastructure-controller-enterprise-module/1-1-x/deploy-guide/b_apic-em_deploy_guide_v_1-1-x/b_apic-em_deploy_guide_v_1-x_appendix_01001.pdf

Is that what you're asking?

Thanks

Thanks
Francesco

any idea where to download isrv. I couldn't find it on the cisco site. 

Hi

Here the link of isrv:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=286308662&softwareid=286309323&release=16.05.01&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Thanks

Thanks
Francesco

which one would work with Gns3 the bin or is there an ova in the tar.gz file? 

I'm using Virl essentially and I use sometimes virl images into GNS3 or more often only use L2 and L3 IOU images within GNS3.

thanks

Thanks
Francesco

And what about using eve-ng for IWAN ?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card