cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Link failover between ospf and bgp

saidcr7
Level 1
Level 1

This is a Hub and spoke scenario of mpls connectivity using bgp. Also the dc and Dr connected through an additional replication link(ospf). So I want a solution that, if the isp1 connection of dc down, branch can able to communicate dc servers through Dr using the replication link.ie as per the scenario branch can reach Dr and from dr use the replication link to reach dc. pls help me and thanks in advance

image.png

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If you use BGP then this by default failover. 
if ISP1 is down then the branch will not learn DC prefix and use the path through ISP2. 
I think you ask how you can make this fast ?

View solution in original post

what ISP-Branch bgp neighbor connection is it eBGP or iBGP ?
if eBGP are you use multihop or direct connect ??

". . . if a situation happens like DC isp1 connection down and branch isp2 connection were down."

Ah, understood.

Well, again, with some "work" you can still use your OSPF path, or, what we did in an international company using two MPLS providers, to handle the situation you describe (without usually having a "backdoor" path), we designated certain sites (like your DC and DR) as transit sites.  In this case, the branch would use its remaining ISP2 link to get to DR, which would send it to DC across ISP1.  (Incidentally, in our situations, every site had two MPLS providers, but not always the same two.  So failure of one of the ISP's site connections often led to traffic bouncing off another "transit" site.)

I recall (?) our EMEA region did have two major sites, relatively close together, with their own site-to-site link.  I think (?) they just set it up as another BGP transit.

When I mentioned "work", as an example in our case, one of our MPLS international vendors has one (private) AS for their world-wide BGP cloud, the other had regional (private) ASs.  (BTW, the latter was better, as in a failure situation, you don't want to use a "transit" site, to jump between providers, that's, literally, on the other side of the world.)  As we wanted to use both providers, equally, we had to prepend AS hops on the former to make AS hop count equal to the latter, between sites.

PS:

BTW, again, as (mentioned) our sites didn't have all the same MPLS providers, what you describe as a double failure, breaking the path between Branch and DC, in our case might be caused by a single link failure, on one side or the other.  So, bouncing through a "transit" site was critical to maintain connectivity between sites that no longer shared the same MPLS cloud.

9 Replies 9

If you use BGP then this by default failover. 
if ISP1 is down then the branch will not learn DC prefix and use the path through ISP2. 
I think you ask how you can make this fast ?

Yes. I need a solution that how can I use the replication link for the failover once the one of the dc mpls link down and vice versa.

Yes, I too was wondering about ISP2.  I.e. would expect, as both DC and DR show links to ISPs 1 and 2, all links are used concurrently (possibly not currently, as it requires additional configuration to use BGP multi-path) or if ISP1 is preferred over ISP2, the latter should take over if the former fails (as @MHM Cisco World posits).

If both fails, would expect DC and DR to use OSPF path.

On the other hand, I was going to ask, if just ISP1 failed, and you didn't want to fail over to ISP2, for DC to DR traffic, i.e. you want DC to DR to then use OSPF link, that could be done too, but might require some "work".

DC and DR communication using the P2P link. So my question about how the branch can communicate to DC if a situation happens like DC isp1 connection down and branch isp2 connection were down. Then I want to use the P2P link for the failover.

". . . if a situation happens like DC isp1 connection down and branch isp2 connection were down."

Ah, understood.

Well, again, with some "work" you can still use your OSPF path, or, what we did in an international company using two MPLS providers, to handle the situation you describe (without usually having a "backdoor" path), we designated certain sites (like your DC and DR) as transit sites.  In this case, the branch would use its remaining ISP2 link to get to DR, which would send it to DC across ISP1.  (Incidentally, in our situations, every site had two MPLS providers, but not always the same two.  So failure of one of the ISP's site connections often led to traffic bouncing off another "transit" site.)

I recall (?) our EMEA region did have two major sites, relatively close together, with their own site-to-site link.  I think (?) they just set it up as another BGP transit.

When I mentioned "work", as an example in our case, one of our MPLS international vendors has one (private) AS for their world-wide BGP cloud, the other had regional (private) ASs.  (BTW, the latter was better, as in a failure situation, you don't want to use a "transit" site, to jump between providers, that's, literally, on the other side of the world.)  As we wanted to use both providers, equally, we had to prepend AS hops on the former to make AS hop count equal to the latter, between sites.

PS:

BTW, again, as (mentioned) our sites didn't have all the same MPLS providers, what you describe as a double failure, breaking the path between Branch and DC, in our case might be caused by a single link failure, on one side or the other.  So, bouncing through a "transit" site was critical to maintain connectivity between sites that no longer shared the same MPLS cloud.

Thanks for your time and consideration. So is there any way to use the P2P link for failover.

Sorry if I've been unclear.

(Likely) yes.

DR needs to advertise to ISP 2 the routes DC advertises to ISP 1, but at a higher "cost".

How?

That depends on how your network is set up.

what ISP-Branch bgp neighbor connection is it eBGP or iBGP ?
if eBGP are you use multihop or direct connect ??

Ebgp and direct connected

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card