cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancing through BGP .

Abhishek Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have 2  cisco routers running BGP.  we want to do a load balancing bewteen both of them. We have applied ACLs to achive it  but some how if there is any change in the peer neighbour  or on the cloud the loadbalancing is not there.

Whatever level you reach getting better never stops -- Sachin Tendulkar
5 Replies 5

Abhishek Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Would kindly request to let me know if some obdy can guide on the load balancing part.

Hi,

Could you clarify your goal? You want some prefixes to go one path and others the other path over your eBGP peerings?

Post topology and config of both routers.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

let me get the correct topology and information with you in sometime.

network toplogy : data setup

ISP 1 ( ROUTER ) < --------- > ISP 1 ----------------------------- \ 

I                                                                                \

I                                                                                  \

I                                                                                   \

I                                                                                  

I                                                                                   [ ASA ]

V                                                                                        I                                                                                                                                                                         |

I

HSRP / BGP                                                                         I

I                                                                                        I

I                                                                                        I

I                                                                                        

I

I

I

V

ISP 2 ( ROUTER )

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I                                                                                                          

I  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both the ISP goes to through the ASA eventually.

Would have to get the router configuration from the higher authorities, so make take some time.

Hi Abhishek,

I assume you have two links between two routers (R1 and R2) and you ran BGP as a routing protocol.

From R1 you can announce half of the prefix to R2 from one link (use prefix-list and route-map for this) and rest half from other link.

From R1 also announce supernet to have backup of above.

Say If you have prefix 10.10.10.0/23 attached to R1 then your config might look like.

ip prefix-list ONE-LAN seq 10 permit 10.10.10.0/24

ip prefix-list ONE-LAN seq 15 permit 10.10.10.0/23

route-map FIRST-OUT permit 10

match ip address prefix-list ONE-LAN

router bgp

bgp route-map FIRST-OUT out

ip prefix-list TWO-LAN seq 10 permit 10.10.11.0/24

ip prefix-list TWO-LAN seq 15 permit 10.10.10.0/23

route-map SECOND-OUT permit 10

match ip address prefix-list TWO-LAN

router bgp

bgp route-map SECOND-OUT out

Same way you can announce the prefix from other end.

Let me know for any confusion.

Regards

Mahesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: