Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancing

vin.marco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I need to configure a load balancing and fault tolerance towards two devices.

OSPF can be configured in this device; VRRF or static.

What advice do you give me?

Thank you

Net.gif

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
On Cisco, by default, OSPF will do ECMP (at least on 4 paths). I.e. all you need to do is insure the two destinations have the same OSPF cost (to reach them) on the two paths.

So if I configure the same OSPF cost the load balancing happens per packet or flow?

By default, it's per flow. (Generally, per packet should be avoided.)

so can I get the same result with static routes?

What devices are A and B ? (Cisco) routers ?

Hello

@vin.marco wrote:

so can I get the same result with static routes?

Yes it can, by default if you have two equal cost static routes then per-destination load balancing would work however you would need to apply some monitoring( ip sla tracking) of those static routes in case of upstream failure so either are removed if the destination isn’t available basically tuning them into floating static routes, alternatively you could use policy based routing with ipsla with the statics.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: