Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Local lab, issues with name resolution.

I have the following setup:

Cable Modem---Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Router Wired Interface---SG 200---2911

From the switch I can ping the internet via IP, but I can't resolve host names. From the 2911 I can't ping anything outside but I can ping via IP anything inside. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm not sure if this is a NAT issue or DNS is being blocked.

david

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am not understanding the topology. But the posted config of the router certainly shows at least one problem. I am seeing only one interface configured with an IP address which is in 192.168.1.0. And I am not seeing any route statements. So this router would not be able to access any resource that is not in 192.1681.0.

The original post describes an issue about being able to access resources by IP address but not by name. This almost certainly reflects some issue with DNS.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello,

hard to say without seeing the configs. What wireless router do you have ? Post the configs of that router and the 2911...

Hello

Can you explain whats the reasoning you have a rtr behind the switch , when the wifi/router i am assuming is providing the routing?

Is this a home setup or a SOHO business?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

@paul driver this is a lab, so I'm open for any and all recommendations. The ultimate goal is to make this a voice lab. I have a UC520 and a 2911. I want the 2911 to serve as the lab and the UC520 to serve as my home phone system. I'm also trying to have everything on a gig port as much as possible to just get a bit more speed when doing transfers.

@Georg Pauwen I've updated the OP with the router model. Not sure how to post that config as it's all UI based. Below is the config of the 2911.

sh run
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1520 bytes
!
! Last configuration change at 18:02:44 UTC Thu Sep 6 2018
!
version 15.1
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname 2911-01
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
! card type command needed for slot/vwic-slot 0/0
enable secret 5 password
!
no aaa new-model
!
memory-size iomem 5
!
no ipv6 cef
ip source-route
ip cef
!
ip name-server 192.168.1.1
!
multilink bundle-name authenticated
!
crypto pki token default removal timeout 0
!
!
voice-card 0
!
license udi pid CISCO2911/K9 sn F12345
hw-module ism 0
!
hw-module pvdm 0/0
!
hw-module pvdm 0/1
!
redundancy
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
 ip address 192.168.1.4 255.255.255.0
 duplex auto
 speed auto
!
interface ISM0/0
 no ip address
 shutdown
 !Application: CUE Running on ISM
!
interface ISM0/1
 no ip address
 shutdown
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 no ip address
 shutdown
 duplex auto
 speed auto
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
 no ip address
 shutdown
 duplex auto
 speed auto
!
ip forward-protocol nd
!
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
!
control-plane
!
gatekeeper
 shutdown
!
line con 0
line aux 0
line 131
 no activation-character
 no exec
 transport preferred none
 transport input all
 transport output pad telnet rlogin lapb-ta mop udptn v120 ssh
 stopbits 1
line vty 0 4
 password password
 login
 transport input all
!
scheduler allocate 20000 1000
end

I am not understanding the topology. But the posted config of the router certainly shows at least one problem. I am seeing only one interface configured with an IP address which is in 192.168.1.0. And I am not seeing any route statements. So this router would not be able to access any resource that is not in 192.1681.0.

The original post describes an issue about being able to access resources by IP address but not by name. This almost certainly reflects some issue with DNS.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The route statement was part of the problem. Now I can get to the internet from the router. For now this solved my problem and I'll post something new if I hit another snag. Thank you.

david

David

I am glad that you were able to get this sorted out and working. Glad our suggestions were helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions that have helpful information.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello,

most likely, your cable modem/router is doing the NAT. You need to find out what address range the cable modem is dishing out (it is usually configured as DHCP server by default).

Also, when you say you can ping the Internet from the switch, what source address on the switch are you referring to ?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card