cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Loopback

navneet_78
Level 1
Level 1

Why do we sometimes use the Tunnel source as the loopback?

Thanks

Navneet

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sourabhagarwal
Level 4
Level 4

You cannot have two tunnels that use the same encapsulation mode with exactly the same source and destination address. The workaround is to create a loopback interface and source packets off the loopback interface.

Also, loopback interface is a virtual interface that is always up sessions to stay up even if the outbound interface is down.

hope it help ... rate if it does ....

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

sourabhagarwal
Level 4
Level 4

You cannot have two tunnels that use the same encapsulation mode with exactly the same source and destination address. The workaround is to create a loopback interface and source packets off the loopback interface.

Also, loopback interface is a virtual interface that is always up sessions to stay up even if the outbound interface is down.

hope it help ... rate if it does ....

Thnx for the response Sourabh

Cheers

Navneet

network.king
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

Using the loopback holds good for all having the same explanation , a interface always up and if your router having a tunnel has multiple interfaces for traffic to exit and having a loopback as source would make the tunnel to be up always.

If configured with any interfaces as source , and if interface down tunnel also down.But if your router is connected as a spoke , then it doesnt make any diff.

Hope this helps

regards

vanesh k

Question about Loopback as the ip radius source interface.

I cannot get my loopback to be used to ssh into my router. I have set up a static route going to the next hop which is our core switch. If the ip radius source is set to an interface, it works with no issue. I have set the source as loopback, entered a static route and even disabled CoPP and still no success. 

Any suggestions?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card