Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lost password on 2960 : need help

Hello and sorry for my english,

To configure my cisco, I use the console cable but as I have no serial port on my PC, I use a USB to serial cable which I plug the console

I had lost this USB cable -> serial but I found another one.

So I started to configure my cisco by copying from an existing config. I found out that a priori the converter is defective and copy the wrong config.

I had copied the enable secret password and it badly copied!

No luck, I made a copy run start. Therefore more accessible to cisco!

When I start the cisco, I see what activated "the Mechanism password-recovery is enabled"

so I followed the procedure cisco

I go flash_init: OK

but when I type "load_helper" Unknown command it say to  me ....

I'm stuck!

The model is my cisco: Cisco WS-C2960G-24TS-S

SW Version 12.2(55)SE3

Sw image C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M

thank you for your help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

swordcrowned
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The 2960 has a mode button on the front of the switch I believe.  Power up the switch and let it load completely.  Hold the mode button down for approximately two minutes.  A light on the front will blink amber then turn green.  After that, release the mode button.  This should wipe the switch.  If that doesnt work, pull the power cord, and hold the mode button down.  Then plug the switch back in, holding the mode button until the light flashes amber then turns solid green.

This should be all you need to do.  I havent seen a 2960 for a while, so this may not be 100% correct, but I believe it will work.  You should not need to use any commands.  Good luck, I hope you are able to reset your switch.

Bryan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

swordcrowned
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The 2960 has a mode button on the front of the switch I believe.  Power up the switch and let it load completely.  Hold the mode button down for approximately two minutes.  A light on the front will blink amber then turn green.  After that, release the mode button.  This should wipe the switch.  If that doesnt work, pull the power cord, and hold the mode button down.  Then plug the switch back in, holding the mode button until the light flashes amber then turns solid green.

This should be all you need to do.  I havent seen a 2960 for a while, so this may not be 100% correct, but I believe it will work.  You should not need to use any commands.  Good luck, I hope you are able to reset your switch.

Bryan

Hi,

There are many ways to recover the password.

One is see the below link..

http://www.esds.co.in/forum/f5/steps-password-recovery-cisco-2960-switch-339/

Second one is...

Step 1. Connect a terminal or PC with terminal-emulation software to the switch console port.

Step 2. Set the line speed on the emulation software to 9600 baud.

Step 3. Power off the switch. Reconnect the power cord to the switch and within 15 seconds, press the Mode button while the System LED is still flashing green. Continue pressing the Mode button until the System LED turns briefly amber and then solid green. Then release the Mode button.

Step 4. Initialize the Flash file system using the flash_init command.

Step 5. Load any helper files using the load_helper command.

Step 6. Display the contents of Flash memory using the dir flash command:

The switch file system appears:

Directory of flash:
13 drwx 192 Mar 01 1993 22:30:48 c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.FX
11 -rwx 5825 Mar 01 1993 22:31:59 config.text
18 -rwx 720 Mar 01 1993 02:21:30 vlan.dat
16128000 bytes total (10003456 bytes free)

Step 7. Rename the configuration file to config.text.old, which contains the password definition, using the rename flash:config.text flash:config.text.old command.

Step 8. Boot the system with the boot command.

Step 9. You are prompted to start the setup program. Enter N at the prompt, and then when the system prompts whether to continue with the configuration dialog, enter N.

Step 10. At the switch prompt, enter privileged EXEC mode using the enable command.

Step 11. Rename the configuration file to its original name using the rename flash:config.text.old flash:config.text command.

Step 12. Copy the configuration file into memory using the copy flash:config.text system:running-config command. After this command has been entered, the follow is displayed on the console:

Source filename [config.text]?
Destination filename [running-config]?

Press Return in response to the confirmation prompts. The configuration file is now reloaded, and you can change the password.

Step 13. Enter global configuration mode using the configure terminal command.

Step 14. Change the password using the enable secretpassword command.

Step 15. Return to privileged EXEC mode using the exit command.

Step 16. Write the running configuration to the startup configuration file using the copy running-config startup-config command.

Step 17. Reload the switch using the reload command.

Please rate the helpfull posts.

Regards,

Naidu.

i had hold the button on 2960 2 min, the switch restart and it is ok

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card