Views
Helpful
Replies

mac addresses errors on router and switches

africanDrew
Level 1
Level 1

hello my fellow networks i was given PT Activity 1.5.1:
Packet Tracer Skills Integration Challenge to configure when i reached on the step of adding a 1841 router and adding the serial port. I added the both but on checking the serial interface has no Mac address (no set ) the same on switches help me out i asked my Instructor he told me that the packet tracer version  I'm  using might be the issue version 8.1.1 and told me to config the static mac address 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Serial interfaces have NO Mac addresses, you cannot add serial interface to a switch.  MACs are needed for PC, routers, switches, etc for all Ethernet ports /interfaces which have ARPA encapsulation;  Default Encapsulation for serial interface is HDLC on Cisco routers.  Ethernet communication uses MACs but not serial HDLC or PPP.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Serial interfaces have NO Mac addresses, you cannot add serial interface to a switch.  MACs are needed for PC, routers, switches, etc for all Ethernet ports /interfaces which have ARPA encapsulation;  Default Encapsulation for serial interface is HDLC on Cisco routers.  Ethernet communication uses MACs but not serial HDLC or PPP.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

africanDrew
Level 1
Level 1

thx brother for the help nut all i noticed is that packet tracer v 8.1.1 has some errors with configuring old activites

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card