Views
Helpful
Replies

Management and BITS ports on an ASR1002

pweinhold
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We recently purchased a Cisco ASR1002 router with four on-board Gigabit SFP-style Ethernet ports. However, when I do a "show ip interface brief", I see that there's an extra Gigabit Ethernet port. See the last interface in the following output:

ASR_1002_router#sh ip int b

Interface                         IP-Address       OK?     Method Status          Protocol

GigabitEthernet0/0/0       unassigned      YES  manual     down                down

GigabitEthernet0/0/1       unassigned      YES  manual     down                down

GigabitEthernet0/0/2       unassigned      YES  manual     down                down

GigabitEthernet0/0/3       unassigned      YES  manual     down                down

GigabitEthernet0            unassigned       YES  unset    administratively down down

On the router itself, in addition to the four Ethernet SFP ports, there are four additional RJ-45 ports. They're labeled "BITS", "MGMT", "CON", and "AUX". I know what the Con and Aux ports are, but what are the Bits and Mgmt ports? And is one of them the Gigabit Ethernet interface that I see listed at the bottom of the output? And if it is, is there anything special about it, or is it just another routed Ethernet port? Can I do something special with it, like out-of-line managment?

Thanks. 

1 Reply 1

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The BITS port provide connections for an external synchronization source for establishing precise frequency control at multiple network nodes, if required for your application. The RSP card contains a synchronous equipment timing source (SETS) that can receive a frequency reference from an external BITS timing interface or from a clock signal recovered from any incoming Gigabit Ethernet or 10-Gigabit Ethernet interface. The RSP SETS circuit filters the received timing signal and uses it to drive outgoing Ethernet interfaces.

The BITS input can be T1, E1 or 64K 4/. The BITS output can be T1, E1 or 6.312M 5/.

Mgmt is for out-of-band management and that should be the GigabitEthernet0 interface you see at the end.

Hope it helps.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card