cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Max. Cahnnel Groups on 1841

sascha.appel
Level 1
Level 1

The first two channel groups are configured without any problem.

If you want to configure a third group there is an error message:

"%Channel-groups per port limit exceeded

%Insufficient resources to create channel group".

My question is:

How many channel groups can I have configured on a 1841 with 2 VWIC-2MFT-E1 Modules?

Or do I have to choose another Hardware?

My goal is to configure 5 Channel groups on one and 2 on the 2nd interface.

Wich IOS/HW Combination do I need to solve this problem?

Thanks and regards

5 Replies 5

kamal-learn
Level 4
Level 4

hi

i think you cannot go for more than eight 8 ports for any channel you create, and this 8 it s a value that may be less ,it deponds on the HD, the number of channel also deponds on your port density, i.e you can not use a port as member of two different channel..

you can use port from different module but

within te same chassis...

do a lookup on Etherchannel over the site.

HTH

do rate if it does clarify

This is a restriction with these cards. They say only 2 channel groups per card. Now that appears to only be partially true because I have seen posts on these forums that these cards can run more than 2 channels groups on 3800 series routers. The documentation clearly says 2 and that is what I have seen running these in 2800 series routers.

The above post is related to bundling of ethernet ports and is not your issue.

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

This is a limitation on the HWIC slot in 1841, it supports at max 2channel-groups on that.This is the same case with 2800 routers except 3800 routers.

You can configure more than 2 channel group in VWIC2.The channel-group limits depend on where you insert the VWIC2.e.g. in Case of 3800 HWIC slots: max 128 channel-groups across all 4 HWIC slots & in case of 2800 it's limited to 2 channel groups per HWIC slot.

Also limitation is per slot & not on VWIC2 port

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

thanks amit

Never saw it spelled out anywhere.

They need to fix their doc. This one clearly says only 2 and it is a document for 3800 routers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_qanda_item0900aecd8028d2e5.shtml

Tim, I agree with you that the doc needs to be corrected.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card