Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Max T1's in an MLPPP Configuration

Looking for documentation that tells what the maximum number of T1's I can bundle together with MLPPP. I figure that it is somewhat platform specific so if someone can point me to some kind of matrix, that would be good.

Searching Cisco's pages has not turned this up for me.

6 or 8 sound like the right number for something like a 2800, but I may need more.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Hello!

I found this document: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2033/prod_white_paper0900aecd8056d3cb.html

and under Restrictions for Hardware-Enabled Features the 5th line statement is: "Each bundle must have fewer than 12 T1 links"

Anyway I think your are always somehow limited by the hardware resources. I never heard of 10 T1 / E1 links on one router, but in networking anything is possible.

I hope this answer your question!

Cheers,

Calin

Calin,

I found this also but it is addressing the higher end router and not the 2800 or 3800 with bonding t1's.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This document, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2033/products_white_paper09186a0080091d4b.shtml, notes up to 8 for MLP per VIP, although I recall reading else where on Cisco's site its equipment generally also does up to 8 (and on some platform up to 16?). Of course, at the moment, can not find these other references.

PS:

If you need more than 8 MLP T1s, whether even possible on a 2800 ISR, you might need something like a 3800 ISR to drive them. Also, if available, fractional T3 might be less expensive.

Joseph,

I had found this article as well but it is talking about the 7500 and 7200 series routers and not the lower end routers like the 2800 or 3800 series.

That is what I am looking for.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

From what I know, T1 bonding has a maximum limitation of up to 8 T1, which MLPPP can provide. Yes, it concerns with the platform (how many T1's you can plugin - but the maximum that can be bonded remains 8). If you need more than 8, I heard some use a MUX (which I have not tried yet).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card