Views
Helpful
Replies

MGRE or EIGRP-OTP

perkin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello experts

I have a challenge on the existing MPLS network of our company. I want to have a solution to keep EIGRP metric over our MPLS network.  meaning we have to do the overlay solution.

MGRE did the work already but a new challenger which is EIGRP-OTP

for our requirement, QoS is a must, IPSEC support is nice to have

on MTU wise  MGRE is better than EIGRP-OTP, but is that any adv I missed on EIGRP-OTP? e.g (nhs/RR recovery /  convergence time, security)

I cannot find any head to head review/comparison on both technologies. any suggestion  / link are welcome!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No problem @perkin,

You are completely right. You can have LISP by itself and configure xTR and MS/MR functionalities manually or have EIGRP OTP which actually uses LISP under the hood.

What I would like to convey is that EIGRP OTP is not that common in my personal experience and you may be more comfortable with DMVPN being this more commonly deployed and documented.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi @perkin,

I must confess I do not have much experience with EIGRP OTP.

Yes, DMVPN and EIGRP OTP can both help you to accomplish the same result but I have personally seen DMVPN more commonly in the field.

I am sorry, but I couldn't find a document which shows a direct comparison between them but I found this EIGRP OTP whitepaper:

WAN Virtualization Using Over The ToP (OTP)

Regards.

PS: I would personally go with DMVPN based on that it has been more widely deployed. This is just my very personal point of view.

Thank you 

I Googled the latest wan overlay technology,  some Cisco video are promoting eigrp OTP but I canā€™t see too much technical supporting other than the fancy fancy video clip.  I really want to see if any head to head comparison 

I agreed with you but can I ask if any road map for lisp ? I do not want to select a protocol just for old design.

Adv of MGRE as far as I understand 

- support other than eigrp protocol  ( for me this is not big adv since we are using eigrp)

- dmvpn encryption support, if later we need

- payload 12 octet less than eigrp-otp too

question

will that support QoS on encapsulated packer?

Hi @perkin,

I'm sorry, I am not aware of any document which covers head to head comparison between EIGRP OTP and DMVPN.

Now that you mention LISP, it is nowadays one of the core components of the Cisco DNA/SDA solution, so it is heavily being tested and deployed.

As per EIGRP OTP, I have not seen much movement with it.

About QoS, there is a nice feature called:

Per-Tunnel QoS for DMVPN

Best Regards.

thank you, Hector!

Thanks for your help, per my understanding, EIGRP OTP is based on lisp but may be one of the variations of those. so that I just not sure if technology based on lisp will be the wise way for the overlayed technology.
if not too much movement on EIGRP OTP then I better stick with the old and stable MGRE. :)

No problem @perkin,

You are completely right. You can have LISP by itself and configure xTR and MS/MR functionalities manually or have EIGRP OTP which actually uses LISP under the hood.

What I would like to convey is that EIGRP OTP is not that common in my personal experience and you may be more comfortable with DMVPN being this more commonly deployed and documented.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card