Helpful
Replies

mi router 2620 show me a messenger of error

willyskate
Level 1
Level 1

Hi partners,

i have a problem with a router 2620, my message of error is:

%SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of 244 bytes failed from 0x803E6050, pool Processor, alignment 0 -Process= "CDP Protocol", ipl= 0, pid= 26 -Traceback= 802AEB6C 802B0864 803E6054 803E5320 803E175C 803E10F4 802CE450.

the equipment refuse the conection telnet.

this is the show version:

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IS56I-M), Version 12.0(7)T,  RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Tue 07-Dec-99 05:26 by phanguye

Image text-base: 0x80008088, data-base: 0x80D79930

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

RBME_001 uptime is 3 hours, 29 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on at 08:01:53 GMT-4 Wed Apr 25 2007

System image file is "flash:c2600-is56i-mz.120-7.T.bin"

cisco 2620 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x102) with 32768K/8192K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID JAD0442045N (95426598)

M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

2 Serial(sync/async) network interface(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2142 (will be 0x2102 at next reload)

when i try to conect via console show me this:

-          %% Low on memory; try again later.

why cant i do for fix this????????   best regards....

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

This means your processor memory pool is depleted close to 0 and there are no memory resources to handle the current functionality, including CDP protocol, telnet session and even console outputs. I would say to collect "show proc mem sort" to see what is holding the most memory but you cannot as the device is not able to respond anymore.

This could happen due to too much features or routes on the node and not enough memory or also could be caused by memory leaking due a bug.

In your situation I suggest to reload the box to reinitialize the memory and check whether the memory gets depleted shortly after that (use the above "show proc mem sort" command). If it does, you are likely suffering low resources problem and need to upgrade DRAM.

If the router starts with enough free memory and gets it slowly but steadily decreased (monitor for this periodically), then it is a symptom of possible memory leak and you need to check which process is holding more and more memory over time - then research for corresponding bug in your IOS release.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

This means your processor memory pool is depleted close to 0 and there are no memory resources to handle the current functionality, including CDP protocol, telnet session and even console outputs. I would say to collect "show proc mem sort" to see what is holding the most memory but you cannot as the device is not able to respond anymore.

This could happen due to too much features or routes on the node and not enough memory or also could be caused by memory leaking due a bug.

In your situation I suggest to reload the box to reinitialize the memory and check whether the memory gets depleted shortly after that (use the above "show proc mem sort" command). If it does, you are likely suffering low resources problem and need to upgrade DRAM.

If the router starts with enough free memory and gets it slowly but steadily decreased (monitor for this periodically), then it is a symptom of possible memory leak and you need to check which process is holding more and more memory over time - then research for corresponding bug in your IOS release.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

thanks Ivan,

for the information, is very useful

best regars.....

Welcome!

Kind Regards,
Ivan
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card