Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from OSPF to EIGRP

Mero Cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have implemented the OSPF routing at my office. Now, I want to migrate from OSPF to EIGRP. I have got lots of branch implemented with OSPF. How should I migrate OSPF to EIGRP without disturbing the existing network.

Regards,

Mero

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mero,

Genrally the practice is to configure the EIGRP with higher AD as compared to OSPF ( done with distance command under eigrp), since EIGRP will have higher AD set, devices will not install EIGRP routes in routing table.

Once you have eigrp neighbourship and topology converged then you can start removing ospf.

Regards,

Smitesh

PS: Please rate helpful posts...

View solution in original post

Hi Mero,

Based on your motivation for migrating to EIGRP instead on OSPF; I totally agree with Paolo. OSPF times can be tweaked to attend same reconvergence as in EIGRP. More over you pointed that your applications are latency and loss sensitive, on that you can have two options:

1. As suggested to by Paolo, you can do QoS for your critical applications.

OR

2. You can use Cisco's OER/PfR feature.

Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable with OER/PfR, where I can suggest you much, however you can refer Cisco Doc CD for more information on OER/PfR.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/pfr/configuration/15-2mt/pfr-understand.html

Regards,

Smitesh

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi Mero,

Genrally the practice is to configure the EIGRP with higher AD as compared to OSPF ( done with distance command under eigrp), since EIGRP will have higher AD set, devices will not install EIGRP routes in routing table.

Once you have eigrp neighbourship and topology converged then you can start removing ospf.

Regards,

Smitesh

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

And why you want to migrate away from a superior protocol ?

Dear Paolo,

My software is very much dependent with the ping response time as well as its smoothness in connection. I want to control my route according to the ping response. When ping fails for 2-3 times I want to dynamically route through another available link. I also want to change the route when the latency goes above some value.

Another advantage that I will get from EIGRP is the fast convergance.

I have not got the good material on this till now but heard that it is possible to fulful my requirement with EIGRP. Please explore about this and also suggest me which protocol should I use.

Regards,

Mero

Actually OSPF has same or better reconverge time as any other protocol, by  doing proper timer tuning.

Note that if you want to re-route on 'latency', no routing protocol can do that. Moreover if one circuit is congested and has high-latency, if you move traffic to another then the other will become eventually congested, so it is not a good solution.

What you should investigate instead is QoS for the critical application..

The most is  that you get advice from a certified Cisco engineer of proven experience before making decisions.

Hi Mero,

Based on your motivation for migrating to EIGRP instead on OSPF; I totally agree with Paolo. OSPF times can be tweaked to attend same reconvergence as in EIGRP. More over you pointed that your applications are latency and loss sensitive, on that you can have two options:

1. As suggested to by Paolo, you can do QoS for your critical applications.

OR

2. You can use Cisco's OER/PfR feature.

Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable with OER/PfR, where I can suggest you much, however you can refer Cisco Doc CD for more information on OER/PfR.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/pfr/configuration/15-2mt/pfr-understand.html

Regards,

Smitesh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card