Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS over GRE not working

waqas.salam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, 

I have setup 2 PE's directly connected and created gre tunnel over this point 2 point with mpls ip command . Configured loopbacks on both routers for bgp peering. Tunnel and loopbacks   advertised in ospf for reachability . Bgp and ldp peer established. Vrf customer1 on both router are showing routes of both ends which are directly connected. I am able to ping site a and site b gateways in vrf BUT i have seen first time that end to end both laptops site a and site b are not pingable

Please can someone  give me the solution asap. 

22 Replies 22

Please visit this link if you haven't already done that:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/wan-routing-and-switching/mpls-over-gre-tunnels/td-p/1009419

You may find something that benefits, even though it looks fine to me. You configuration is in line with what Peter is recommending which is on the second page of this thread.

Thanks to all.

issue is resolved ...this little but big issue was a cisco IOS bug.
i have changed ios and works for me.

I am glad that your issue has been resolved. Thanks for letting us know and sharing the resolution with us.

waqas.salam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Coffee,

Appreciated your response.

some interesting things i would like to share, below  hyperlink is the same issue reported but

get resolved after having command "" mls mpls tunnel-recir""

Issue in 7600 when vrf forwrding over gre tunnel - Cisco Support ...

i am attaching my debugging in detail with wire shark which shows me the same issue which was highlighted in above post.

when i am pinging to remote router (router A) PE interface of customer facing CE  from loopback as source (router B) in vrf the responses are fine and having all the things mpls label, routes and etc.

but same things repeated for customer Laptop IP which shows in wireshark that packet is traversing till the customer laptop but reply is not received means laptop are not able to ping remote PE IP.

Coffee , plz waiting on below . need your input

You have test on 7606 sup720-3b platform, if yes please share ios with me. So i can upload same ios.
I will be thankfull to you

I think I used code 15 because I had to edit your configuration for commands like "vrf definition". I was under the impression that you have already tested this configuration and it works in gns3.

On a side note, I used 15.6(2) IOSv in GNS3. 

What is the output of 'ipconfig /all' from your laptops ?

laptop issue is not here as if same ip and laptop are used in scenario where i am using same IOS platform with having mpls ip on physical interfaces not on gre.
means IP/MPLS is working but MPLS/GRE is not working.
plz 15.6 IOS you used on cisco 7606 platform , if yes plz share IOS.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card