Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS-TE cisco

dhikra-marghli8
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

i want to know in which case, we will configure MPLS-TE in device IOS XR or IOS XE in the backbone ?

it is mandatory ? 

i wait a reply fom expert SP

Thanks

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @dhikra-marghli8 

MPLS-TE is typically used in the backbone of a network to optimize traffic flows and provide better control over the traffic engineering aspects of the network. Whether to configure MPLS-TE in devices running Cisco IOS XR or IOS XE depends on various factors, and it's not mandatory in all cases.

If your network has multiple paths, varying link capacities, and demands dynamic optimization of traffic flows, MPLS-TE may be beneficial.

Also, applications with specific traffic requirements, such as real-time multimedia or time-sensitive data, may benefit from MPLS-TE to ensure optimal routing and lower latency.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

it is mandatory ? No

The case you want specific path to overriding igp best path selection we use mpls TE

Friend, @MHM Cisco World will respond yes.

The general idea is if you want to override the IGP best path selection and have control over the specific path that traffic takes through your MPLS network, the MPLS TE is indeed a suitable solution. MPLS TE allows you to establish explicit paths for traffic, providing more control and flexibility in routing decisions. It is a perfect use case in large networks where precise control over traffic paths is required.

Best regards

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@dhikra-marghli8 

Long story short, is no but it contains benefits that you might need to consider while deploying your MPLS network.

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/us/docs/2020/pdf/DGTL-BRKMPL-2205.pdf

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

6 Replies 6

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @dhikra-marghli8 

MPLS-TE is typically used in the backbone of a network to optimize traffic flows and provide better control over the traffic engineering aspects of the network. Whether to configure MPLS-TE in devices running Cisco IOS XR or IOS XE depends on various factors, and it's not mandatory in all cases.

If your network has multiple paths, varying link capacities, and demands dynamic optimization of traffic flows, MPLS-TE may be beneficial.

Also, applications with specific traffic requirements, such as real-time multimedia or time-sensitive data, may benefit from MPLS-TE to ensure optimal routing and lower latency.

Best regards

it is mandatory ? No

The case you want specific path to overriding igp best path selection we use mpls TE

Hello

you say me : 

to overriding igp best path selection we use mpls TE

mean : 

to ovveride  the protocol OSPF  ?   

and also to ovveride BGP that use algorithme to select the best path  ? 

i wait a reply from you

Thanks 

Friend, @MHM Cisco World will respond yes.

The general idea is if you want to override the IGP best path selection and have control over the specific path that traffic takes through your MPLS network, the MPLS TE is indeed a suitable solution. MPLS TE allows you to establish explicit paths for traffic, providing more control and flexibility in routing decisions. It is a perfect use case in large networks where precise control over traffic paths is required.

Best regards

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@dhikra-marghli8 

Long story short, is no but it contains benefits that you might need to consider while deploying your MPLS network.

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/us/docs/2020/pdf/DGTL-BRKMPL-2205.pdf

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As the others have already described MPLS-TE is NOT mandatory.  Conceptionally, it's somewhat like PBR, i.e. it provides a way to selectively direct specific traffic along specific paths but with the advantages of MPLS labeling.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card