cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS with ipsec VPN backup

richdepas
Level 1
Level 1

Have an MPLS WAN configuration with multiple remote offices. Provider manages the edge equipment (1800 series routers). We also have (2) 1841 and (2) ASA5510's inside. (See attached drawing).

Some of our remote sites are VPN connected with termination point of one 1841 router as noted. The others are MPLS connected with their own internet connections. These are configured for VPN backup but require manual intervention to accomplish. I am looking for an automated solution. I want the VPN connections to treminate on the same 1841 with the other sites in case of VPN failover.

The core switch handles most of the routing. Using all static routes. The MPLS provider is using BGP inside of the MPLS cloud.

Read about IP SLA and it soulds like an option for sensing but would need to figure out how to handle the routing.

1 Reply 1

plumbis
Level 7
Level 7

Sounds like it might be time to deploy a dynamic protocol like EIGRP for your network.

I think you could run GRE tunnels where the backup VPNs are, then encrypt the GRE traffic within IPSec. Then you have EIGRP run over the GRE tunnel. You can make the tunnel a less prefered backup path so that when the primary link goes down you automatically fail over to the already established VPN tunnel.

Check out this Cisco Case Study about deploying GRE with IPSec VPN.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/P2P_GRE_IPSec/1_p2pGRE_Phase2.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card