Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS

hostettle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I read that MPLS uses the IP control plan. What would it mean?

Thanks,

Michelot

4 Replies 4

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Michelot,

Control plane and data plane are logical representations of the router operation.

Control plane is where the routing protocols, label distribution protocol and many other router control functions run.

Data plane is used for forwarding the actual user data traffic.

Cheers:

Istvan

Hi Istvan,

> Control plane is where the routing protocols

So, if MPLS uses IP routing protocols, can we say that MPLS is connectionless, as it is for IP.

Thanks,

Michelot

Hello Michelot,

>> So, if MPLS uses IP routing protocols, can we say that MPLS is connectionless, as it is for IP.

very good question, MPLS is connection oriented

Actually MPLS although using connectionless IP builds connection oriented services by using preestablished paths either built automatically by LDP or using RSVP TE (MPLS TE tunnels).

You can see MPLS as an ATM virtualisation media indipendent that implements a subset of ATM features.

Also MPLS overcomes the hop-by-hop paradigm of IP: once a packet is placed inside a path = label switched path devices in the middle don't inspect it and the packet is carried to the final node in the LSP/path.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

> Also MPLS overcomes the hop-by-hop paradigm of IP:

> once a packet is placed inside a path = label switched path devices in the middle don't inspect it

> and the packet is carried to the final node in the LSP/path.

I don't realize how many IP routers have we in an IP/MPLS networks.

Is it possible to say, in an IP/MPLS network, that all the IP routers are located on the edge (as PE) and LSR in the middle of this network (as P equipments).

Perhaps we can consider another model, with some P equipments also IP routers, which end and start LSPs. I would think we have sometimes to reorder the client IP traffic.

Thanks also for some words about the TE after MPLS. Would an MPLS tunnel be different from an MPLS TE tunnel?

> Hope to help

Yes, it's very interesting.

Best regards,

Michelot

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card