Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast across 3 networks with 2 RP's not working

KGrev
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

We are in a situation where 3 standalone network have now been somewhat merged. Networks A, B, and C.

Network B has absorbed most of Net A's responsibility.

Network C wants to stay independent but connected.

So our situation is that Net B is the RP for Net A and Net C is its own RP.

Net C is hosting join groups that Net B needs to see so we added: #ip pim rp-address C.C.C.C NetC_PIM_GROUPS bidir and #ip pim accept-rp C.C.C.C PIM_JOIN_FILTER

Net A has an rp entry for Net B.

Currently, we are able to pull streams on devices on Net B from groups on Net C, however, Net A is not able to see anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also it will be highly red taped if we need to upload configs. I can try to answer questions to the best of my ability.

Thanks for any help.

1 Reply 1

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

If I understand this correct, you have 1 rp in net A and 1 rp in net C. If so, these 2 rp:s need to be connected with each other using MSDP.  This way the 2 rp:s is sharing information between each other, so both of them has knowledge of available sources. Also this leaves 2 possibilities for pointing to RP. Either, to point to the nearest RP, so routers in net A and net B points to RP in net A, and routers in net C points to RP in net C. Or you have same Address for RP in both A and C and let the routing protocol choose the nearest one. 

/Mikael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card