cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast support roadmap on Catalyst 8K?

JAN MARIS
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I would like to understand which IP Multicast routing capabilities (PIM variants) will be supported in the (very) long term future on the Catalyst 8200 and Catalyst 8300 router models with traditional networking (no SDWAN). Where could I get some insight on this? 

Thanks in advance!
Jan

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

have you checked on this confiuration guide : (there may be new support added?)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/routers/catalyst-8200-series-edge-platforms/products-installation-and-configuration-guides-list.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB,

thanks for your reply!
This confirms the current capabilities in IOS XE 17. I would also like to understand how this could or will evolve in say 5 to 8 years from now... (during the lifecycle of the Cat8K operating in autonomous mode). I'm also particularly interested in this note regarding PIM-DM: "Dense mode is not often used and its use is not recommended. For this reason it is not specified in the configuration tasks in related modules."

I appreciate that this is may be a challenging ask.

Regards, Jan.

Hello
That would depend on the rtr and its software finite life cycle, and even then routing features evolve but as it stands I would say PIM is the only established MC routing protocol, with Sparse/Bidir/SSM/MSDP being the "variants" depending on the topology you are running.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response. See also my reply to BB. I'm particularly interested in the situation regarding PIM-DM. I appreciate that this variant typically has important drawbacks in most scenarios, but it does make sense for a very specific scenario/context I'm working with. Hence my concern regarding future support on this platform.

Kind regards, Jan.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card