Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple MLPPP bundles on same router

b-price
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We currently have a mlppp bundle with 4 serial member interfaces connecting to a remote site. I am trying to determine if its possible to create a seperate mlppp bundle with 2 serial interfaces for a seperate remote site. We are using a Cisco 3600 router. My confision lies in how the "PPP Multilink" command issued to each interface will determine which bundle its associated with. I don't see how the interface ties into a specific multilink virtual-template. Any suggestions would be great.

Tks,

Joe

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

The bundle is being identified by the multilink group number which you configure under the physical interface.

i guess with all 4 Serial interfaces are under multilink group 1 which is grouped under one logical multilink interface (interface multilink 1).

now since you want to take 2 links out of that configure them with different multilink group and different multilink interface.

But do remember that the physical links which you are putting in the bundle should terminate in same router on both the sides and without which you cant create the bundle(multilink interface) .

regds

fedcos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

ran into a similar issue here doing to seperate MLPPP bundles between the same to routers. If you are talking how to assign which serials to which bundle then you would use 'ppp multilink group #' after creating another multilink interface and assigning a group number to it.

If you talking about how to name bundles so they stay in seperate bundles, I found using the same 'ppp multilink endpoint' subcommand on all the interfaces will create seperate bundles without using the normal CHAP hostname method.

ie:

interface Multilink1

description bundle1

ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

!

interface Multilink2

description bundle2

ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 2

!

interface Serial0/0

description 1st t1 bundle1

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

ppp multilink endpoint string 'example_bundle1'

!

interface Serial0/1

description 2nd t1 bundle1

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

ppp multilink endpoint string 'example_bundle1'

!

interface Serial1/0

description 1st t1 bundle2

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 2

ppp multilink endpoint string 'example_bundle2'

!

interface Serial1/1

description 2nd t1 bundle2

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 2

ppp multilink endpoint string 'example_bundle2'

unsing the 'ppp multilink endpoint' on both ends on each bundle member will allow you to seperate and name the bundles.

Hope this helps..

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card