Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nas on Cisco 881

Buongiorno (mi sono appena iscritto) volevo chiedervi aiuto perché non sono molto pratico. Mi hanno dato un vecchio Cisco 881 su cui ho fatto un reset di fabbrica. L'idea sarebbe quella di creare una lan 192.168.3.1 dedicata a un NAS che dovrebbe essere accessibile dalla LAN esistente sul mio router gateway 192..168.0.1 e se possibile anche da remoto (internet) con ddns! Potete suggerire una configurazione da inserire nel Cisco 881 dalla CLI? Grazie!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello @Carmine_Pellicani ,

>> Can we add the Nas set whith fixed ip 192.168.2.40 

if the NAS points to the default gateway 192.168.2.1  and uses the same subnet mask 255.255.255.0 as you VLAN1 L3 interface (SVI) it is enough to connect the NAS LAN port to one of the ports fas0 to fas 3 and the PC to another port in the same range because they act as L2 ports (switchports in access mode in vlan 1 by default) in VLAN 1 ( L2 broadcast domain )

Hope to help

View solution in original post

Depends on your performance needs/desires and your budget.

I recall (???) the 880 series is Cisco recommended for 15 Mbps WAN circuits.  Such Cisco recommendations are very conservative, but none of the 800 models (also many other ISRs) can support LAN wire-speed rates. Do know those ISR models that provide a L2 switch can often do very well for traffic between hosts, on that router's switch ports, if hosts are in the same VLAN.

If your NAS and local hosts have gig ports, having them in the same on a L2 switch will allow them higher speed local data transfers.  Connect your 880 to the L2 switch for non local data transfers.  If your WAN link's bandwidth exceeds your 880's, and you need router features not just L3 switch features, you can look into the 890, 900 and 1000 ISRs.  Like the EoL 800s, you might consider the last of the RV series.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

your device should have a routed WAN port to be connected to the internet and a few L2 switchports.

if so you need to create a new VLAN for the NAS

conf t

vlan 30

name VLAN-NAS

exit

! warning : the actual interface name on your device may be different take the following as an example

interface  fastethernet3

switchport

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 30

no shut

exit

interface vlan 30

desc NAS VLAN

ip address 192.168.30.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

no shut

internal communication with other VLAN is provided by IP routing on the router with no addtional command

To make the NAS accessible from outside world you need to understand what protocol is used by the NAS ,  NFS or CIFS

For NFS version 4 it is just enough to configure static NAT for TCP 2049

as explained below

https://community.netapp.com/t5/Tech-ONTAP-Blogs/NFSv3-and-NFSv4-What-s-the-difference/ba-p/441316

So all you need is a static NAT using the TCP port 2049

Start by configuring the new VLAN, assigning an IP address to the NAS and checking internal inter VLAN IP connectivity.

Edit :

interface numbering:

The ports on the FE switch for the Cisco 860, 880, and 890 ISRs are numbered FE0 through FE3.

see

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/800/software/configuration/guide/SCG800Guide/SCG800_Guide_BookMap_chapter_0110.html#topic_527E56905FE34A0C896ACCA8C668F63E

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Good morning Giuseppe tank you for your answer (as I said...I'm not very practical and even whith your clear explanation I didn't succedeed in the configuration) I redid the reset of the device  and redid a different configuration (which I enclose).Can we add the Nas set whith fixed ip 192.168.2.40 to the current configuration so that it is at least reachable by the Pc connectet on the gateway router 192.168.0.1 and by the pc connected on the cisco 881 192.168.2.1? How so? Thank you again for your patience and availability

>> Can we add the Nas set whith fixed ip 192.168.2.40 

if the NAS points to the default gateway 192.168.2.1  and uses the same subnet mask 255.255.255.0 as you VLAN1 L3 interface (SVI) it is enough to connect the NAS LAN port to one of the ports fas0 to fas 3 and the PC to another port in the same range because they act as L2 ports (switchports in access mode in vlan 1 by default) in VLAN 1 ( L2 broadcast domain )

Hope to help

Well Giuseppe you were right! now the NAS is reachable on the LAN from webgui 192.168.2.40:5000 from all my pc... if possible, what should I add to the current configuration to reach the webgui from outside? could you give me an example? Thank you

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BTW, just wanted to add, an 881 is not a vary powerful router.  For something like NAS, it might be a significant bottleneck.

hi Joseph, what would you recommend for not-professional use while staying on the brand? Thank you

Depends on your performance needs/desires and your budget.

I recall (???) the 880 series is Cisco recommended for 15 Mbps WAN circuits.  Such Cisco recommendations are very conservative, but none of the 800 models (also many other ISRs) can support LAN wire-speed rates. Do know those ISR models that provide a L2 switch can often do very well for traffic between hosts, on that router's switch ports, if hosts are in the same VLAN.

If your NAS and local hosts have gig ports, having them in the same on a L2 switch will allow them higher speed local data transfers.  Connect your 880 to the L2 switch for non local data transfers.  If your WAN link's bandwidth exceeds your 880's, and you need router features not just L3 switch features, you can look into the 890, 900 and 1000 ISRs.  Like the EoL 800s, you might consider the last of the RV series.

BTW and FYI, misremembered the Cisco recommendation for an 880, it's only 8 Mbps, it was the 890 that had the 15 Mbps recommendation.

I've attached the Cisco document I'm quoting those performance recommendations from (see figure 1 at the end of the document).  The document, will also describe, various throughput rates based on traffic and router configuration.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card