Replies

NAT question

milkdroogy
Level 1
Level 1

i know you implement overloading like this:

>ip nat inside source list 1 interface serial0/0 overload

my question is: when people use

>ip nat outside source list 1 interface...

?

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ip nat outside is used when you want to translate the address coming from the outside network into the inside network.

Usually, you only translate ip addresses from your internal network since they are private addresses and devices in the internet have no reachability to them.

So for instance, 192.168.1.1 -> 64.210.210.1 as it exits the router to the internet. That's what the ip nat inside does.

Now, the ip nat outside will be something like

192.168.1.1 <- 64.210.210.1

The address will be translated to an internal address.

To the internal network, they won't be connecting to 64.210.210.1 but to 192.168.1.1 when they need resources from that device in the internet.

HTH,

Does someone use this(the outside conversion...)

? and for what purpose?

Yes, Infact i used it for my company's client "B".

The reason for using this is My company is a large organisation and we have a dedicated Link between My company and our client B. Client B has Private RFC 1918 IP addresses which is not routable in my company. Hence, my company translate the Client Private IP address to a routable IP in my company.

This is one example where you do IP NAT OUTSIDE ........

Adeolu

The times I've seen ip nat outside is when translating ip addresses from remote connections that may overlap your network.

For instance, after a merger between 2 companies , IP addresses may overlap and you may want to have the control on what ip addressing scheme is used on incoming packets rather than relying on the remote network engineer to do the translation for you as it exits his/her network.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: