cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT rule order CISCO ASDM

jelenb
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured my Cisco ASA to translate internal addresses to external (WAN) interface. Everything works right, internet connection works as expected. 

I have created site to site tunnel between ASA and AWS. I was able to ping resources on AWS from hosts behind ASA but not other way around. I have finally discovered that the problem is with NAT Rules. 

Here is how I have this set up:

1.jpg

If I disable the last rule (#3), I am able to access internal hosts form AWS but I am not able to access internet. 

How do I set this up so when I communicate to and from AWS to inside addresses are not translated, but if I initiate communication from inside to everywhere else but AWS, ASA translates everything to outside (WAN) 

obj-amz (VPC in AWS 196.168.0.0)
obj-SrcNet (Subnet INSIDE - behind ASA 10.0.1.0) 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is usually accomplished by configuring a static NAT which translates the inside and outside addresses to themselves, which essentially exempts that traffic from being translated by your rule #3.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is usually accomplished by configuring a static NAT which translates the inside and outside addresses to themselves, which essentially exempts that traffic from being translated by your rule #3.

HTH

Rick

Thank you Richard. I have changed rule number 3 (source NAT type) from Dynamic PAT to Static, and it worked as a charm. 

Can you please explain little more on how it works? I really would like understand this concept. Maybe you know some articles or yt tutorials that can be helpful. 

I don't understand why rules number 1 and 2 were not overriding rule number 3

Hello,

have a look at the site linked below, it has a pretty good explanation of how NAT exemptions work...

https://www.practicalnetworking.net/stand-alone/cisco-asa-nat/#asa-identity-nat

This is awesome. Thank you Georg!

Thank you again. I fixed it by following steps from recommended website. I needed to setup NAT exemption rule that does not translate addresses over the tunnel  

I am a bit confused. In a previous response you said that you changed rule 3 and it worked. In the most recent post what I see as rule 2 looks to be the same as original rule 3, not a changed rule.

[edit] Apparently while I was typing my response the post was changed from one saying that there was still a problem to saying that it is fixed. Glad to know that it is fixed.

HTH

Rick

That is correct. I was as confused as you are. Yesterday after I changed rule number 3 to static NAT every worked great. Therefore I got rid of some rules that were not needed and everything was still working out as expected. 

This was not the case anymore this morning... I have no idea why but I followed articles suggested by George, I have set up the exemption rule and now everything seems to be working again.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card