cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT-Travesal

shivaram840
Level 1
Level 1

I want to understand what is the use of NAT-T ?

i have gone through many documents but still confusing me.

we have a site to site vpns between two ASA firewalls , so i have disabled NAT-T on asa firewall but still both sites are communication each other ?

i believe ipsec will not work behind the nat device until use the NAT-T then how it is pining even disabled the NAT-T ???

Thanks,

Shiva

3 Replies 3

Hello Shiva,

IPsec encrypts both data and TCP header. It also encrypts IP header if tunnel mode is used. If you check the packets with Wireshark, you see only layer 3 and ESP or AH as layer 4 so it means there is no layer 4(no ports).

There would be an issue when IPsec is going through a device which is doing PAT(overload NAT). PAT uses TCP or UDP port in order to identify the return traffic and replace the public IP with a correct private IP as packets return; however, there is no port in the encrypted packet.

The solution is NAT-traverse. Nat-traverse encapsulates packets in UDP headers with port 4500 so there will be no problem with PAT anymore.

I hope it is clear.

Masoud

shivaram840
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks masoud , you made me happy with your post and answer 

but after disabling the NAT-T on ASA firewall still able to ping Destination IPs ?

tunnel is there between ASA to ASA firewall and disabled NAT-T on one firewall though able to ping both sides 

Thanks,

Shiva

You do not need to enable NAT traverse between two ASAs. Is there any device between two ASAs doing PAT?

NAT-traverse is used in the following scenario. Usually remote access VPN, not site-to-site.

Client(remote IPsec client)-----------router or a device(PAT)----internet----VPN server.

That device(PAT) causes problem because it does not see any ports to use for PAT.

You enable NAT-traverse on client. Client encapsulates the encrypted packets in UDP headers with port 4500. Now device(PAT)  can use that port.

Hope it is clear now.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card