Helpful
Replies

Need advice

john.tjampens
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to reconfigure an exisiting network but i don't know how to do it:

I have a building with 2 existing customers that need to be seperated from each other, but share a regular internet line and connection to CUCM.

Here some info about the network:

Customer A : 192.168.14.x (VLAN 14 and 100 (Voice))

Customer B : 192.168.22.0 (VLAN 22 and 100 (Voice))

We have 3 switches to split the network

One switch (Catalyst 3560) for customer A with trunking to root_switch

One switch (Catalyst 3560) for customer B with trunking to root_switch

One switch that acts as root_switch (Catalyst 3560) that is connected to a cisco 2810 (for SRST CUCM) and one connection to an internet breakout to a modem/router from the isp that doesn't support any Vlan.

How can i split the network but that they still use the same internet and connection to CUCM.

You can find a simple plan in the attachment, hopefully this helps to help you understand what i want to achieve.

Yours sincerely,

John

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, that can be done. If no logical separation between the two groups is required, then it is a totally normal configuration.

If you're are the end user, any certfied cisco engineer, or person of equivalent knowledge, can set it up easily.

Thank you for the quick response.

I'm not an cisco expert, have only small knowledge of the cisco configuration.

But i have to reconfigure their network.

I think it's not that easy to setup, perhaps you can help me guiding this reconfiguration.

For you thave someone to guide you, you would have to submit configuration of all devices, requirement details, etc.

All in all a professional, time consuming job. For this reason my recommendation to use someone skilled to do it instead, and achieve quick and sure results.

I can give you the configs but the configs are when it was a one big network.

I can configure everything except the modem/router, can't acces the internet, think it has something to do with the vlan etc...

It would be stupid to hire someone for just that.

I think the problem relies in the fact that we use vlan 22,14 for the seperate networks, but we need to send them to the internet, a modem that doesn't understand vlans, so trunking is not an option.

Please help...

I agree with Paolo if you can get someone in. Otherwise, a workaround could be that you create a separate vlan for your internet modem. Assuming that the lan address for the modem is 192.168.1.1, you could create a L3 svi on the switch attached to say vlan 50:

int vlan 50

ip addr 192.168.1.50 255.255.255.0

Assuming the internet modem connects to port fa0/5:

int fa0/5

switchport nonegotiate

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 50

The modem doesn't need to have a trunk configured. All of your other hosts will be able to route to the 3560 (root switch) and the 3560 will see the 192.168.1.0/24 as a directly connected network. Your default route would be set up to point to the internet router to get everyone on the internet.

If it goes beyond that, I'd suggest that you get someone else involved if at all possible (friend, friend of a friend, long lost cousin, consultant, etc.)

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Thank you for the info.
Will try that and keep you posted.

Yours sincerely,

John

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card