cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help choosing 2620 IOS image

trog
Level 1
Level 1

I've been banging my head against this wall for hours. I give up.

I'm trying to figure out what IOS release to upgrade my 2620 to. It's currently running (C2600-I-M), Version 12.1(2)

I've been all over "How do I choose a... software release" but cannot decypher the Feature Support section. Where in the world do I go to find out what my (C2600-I-M) means? (And why the heck do the examples' J stand for "Enterprise" while S stands for "Plus"? Why not use E and P?) 0.o

I've pounded upon the Cisco Software Advisor for a good while, with no usable results. Posting a SHO VER / DIAG just produces XML errors up the yinyang.

I can't go the "Specify your hardware" route because I just can't seem to match up the allowable selections with what I actually have sitting here on my desk.

I've tried going the "Upgrade Planner" route but there are over 50 different "Feature Sets" listed for the 2620 and no explanation of what any of them mean. What ARE the features of IP, IP Base, IP Plus, IP Plus Basic, (and this one makes my eyes cross and desire to throw stuff at a wall..) IP Plus Basic w/o HS Analog/AIM ATM/Voice!? Someone needs to look up the definition of Basic.

How am I suppose to figure out which of the 50+ feature sets matches (C2600-I-M)? I tried researching a few, but if you click on one, say IP Plus, and follow the link "Software Feature Set: IP PLUS", it takes you right back to the page listing ALL the feature sets.

There has GOT to be a better, less frustrating way.

Would someone be so kind as to correct me in what I'm doing/thinking wrong; shove me down the proper path; or better yet just point me to the IOS I need to download? It would be greatly appreciated.

My SHO VER & DIAG are attached.

2 Replies 2

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Gotta agree it can be a bit daunting.

You don't say why you are upgrading, but assuming you just want more current code, and don't need any new features, I would suggest the latest base IP 12.2 GD code. c2600-i-mz.122-28a.bin

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Iosplanner/Planner-tool/iosresult.cgi?get_crypto=&data_from=&hardware_name=2620-2621&software_name=IP&release_name=12.2.28a&majorRel=12.2&state=:HW:SW:RL&type=General%20Deployment

IP Plus provides voice features.

Here is a doc that may be helpful:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/iosswrel/c1127/cdccont_0900aecd80172ae9.pdf

Fantastic. Hats off to you (and 5 points).

Yes, I'm upgrading because of a want for more current code (the prior version was older than an SNMP exploit/DoS, I believe) and because the death of a 3-phase 480 volt breaker blasted its NVRAM and basically made it as good a time as any. :) The new image is up and running great.

Thank you very much for the link to "The ABCs...". I have no idea why I've never happened across it before, but it was very enlightening.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card