cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

any good way to generate default-route in eigrp

shan-cao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,I haven't a good way to generate default route in my eigrp environment. who can tell me?Thanks a lot

Sincerely

6 Replies 6

nathan.deane
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

default route's are not part of any dynamic routing protocol i.e EIGRP, OSPF etc..but is a static route that is configured like this

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 "ip address of internet gateway"

so for instance

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

Try something like this:

access-list standard eigrpdefualt

permit 0.0.0.0

deny any

Then use a distribute list out to your neighbors who you want to get a default route.

dont access lists deny all that is not permitted ? so "deny any" is not needed

and forgive me if i am wrong but is that not just going to distribute out the access-list to all routers in the EIGRP AS and ultimating just allow packets out, not direct packets with an unknown destination to a specified gateway?

Nathan

Yes the deny any is implicit, but I like to use it. That basically comes down to preference.

The defualt route I am referring to is usually used in a hub and spoke environment where the spokes do not need the entire routing table, and can save resources be just getting a external eigrp default route sent to them.

This is what will show up in the routing table for the spoke router:

D*EX 0.0.0.0/0 [170/2179072].........

Ok, I see where your going with this. your on about stub sites that only have one exit out and are not meshed in any way

mike.jones
Level 1
Level 1

You can also generate a default summary to the neighbors that you want to see a default route by adding the following statement to the interfaces where the neighbors are located:

ip summary-address eigrp x 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

Just replace the "x" with your eigrp process number.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card