Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help in making a default route from the ISP to the internet

Searon
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cisco Community,

Can someone explain to me how I make a default route from the ISP to the internet? I'm struggling to find good solutions on this particulary subject on google or youtube.

temp1.png

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Searon

15 Replies 15

Hello @Searon ,

>> I know It's a bit off topic but for the connection between the local routers (brussel, paris) with the ISP would you also use static routes or bgp? 

it is just a question of choice.

you can use eBGP on the branch routers using other two BGP ASes and configure additional neighbor commands on the appropriate routers ISP-x just as you have done within the ISP network block.

as an alternative you can have static routes on the ISP-x routers for the LAN subnets of the branch offices and then in BGP you add network commands for those subnets in the appropriate ISP-x routers.

Note: with BGP a network command applies not only to connected subnets but to every prefix in the IP routing table either connected , either via static either via dynamci routing protocol. So you just need network command with the correct mask (BGP looks for an exact match of the prefix and prefix length = subnet mask)

In this case the branch offices routers just need a default static route pointing to the direcly connected neighbor.

Again to be able to ping the internet the " internet" router will need additional static routes for the branch offices IP subnets.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card