Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to Install Second sup-engine in 7609

Hello,

In my existing production router 7609 of my company, sup-engine already fixed in slot 5 with SRC2 12.2(33) IOS and I need to insert another sup engine in slot 6 with SRE7 IOS code image and after this, again sup engine in slot 5 must be with SRE7 IOS image...(also I have extra sup engines with SRE 7 code image ready with me)

Query:

i am going to offload router before proceed for this activity

i will insert new sup engine in slot 6 with SRE 7 ios image and now i need to re-install spare sup engine with SRE 7 code readily available with me by removing existing sup engine from slot 5 (Active)

so what will be the proceedure to insert new sup engine with SRE 7 code in slot 5 and slot 6 with minimum downtime of router?

existing setup                          sup engine in slot 5 with SRC2 12.3 (old hardware)

slot 6 is EMPTY

final result should be like this:   sup engine in slot 6 with SRE 7  (new hardware)

sup engine in slot 5 with SRE 7  (new hardware)

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sourabh,

but the current configuration file is stored in the NVRAM of the current supervisor!

you should consider to upgrade the IOS image of current supervisor to SRE7, unless you are going to install a different model of supervisor. in that case your plan is correct but you need to rebuild configuration also.

But if the hardware model(example sup720 / sup720 ) is the same you should consider IOS upgrade of current supervisor for the fact that it already has the current configuration file as first step.

You need identical model with same memory with same IOS image running to be able to run SSO supervisor redundancy strategy (stateful switchover)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello

Thanks for info

Currently 1 sup 720 3bxl installed with src2 image in slot 5

And I have extra 2 same sup engines available ready with sre7 code and I want install these two new supengines into existing

Production router into slot 5 and 6

So how can boot router with new sup engine sre 7 code and then I

Will replace slot 5 sup engine with another sup engine with sre7 code

And then with nsr feature?

Hello Sourabh,

again the configuration file that describes the configuration of all ports, vlans, routing and other features is not stored in the chassis, but in the supervisor itself. If the supervisor models are the same and also same amount of memory, the recommended procedure is to upgrade to SRE7 the existing supervisor. Then to insert the standby supervisor.

CAUTION:

If you insert the standby supervisor before the current supervisor  is upgraded the risk is that the standby processor will be rebooted and will load the old image from the current master supervisor

You can refer to the following thread where Cisco expert Ivan Shirshin describes the detailed procedure to install a standby supervisor.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3724127#3724127

That thread is about RSP-720 not sup720 3BXL. so some changes may apply.

About configuration of SSO and NSR you can refer to the following chapter from 12.2SR configuration guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/ios/12.2SR/configuration/guide/nsfsso.html

Once the conditions are met on both supervisors you need to configure mode sso under redundancy

Consider the restrictions and guidelines section

With a Supervisor Engine 720, if all the installed switching modules have DFCs, enter the

fabric switching-mode allow dcef-only

command to disable the Ethernet ports on both supervisor engines, which  ensures that all modules are operating in dCEF mode and simplifies  switchover to the redundant supervisor engine. 

Supervisor engine  switchover takes place after the failed supervisor engine completes a  core dump. A core dump can take up to 15 minutes. To get faster  switchover time, disable core dump on the supervisor engines.

With  a Supervisor Engine 720, if a fabric synchronization error occurs, the  default behavior is to switchover to the redundant supervisor engine. In  some cases, a switchover to the redundant supervisor engine is more  disruptive than powering down the module that caused the fabric  synchronization error. Enter the no fabric error-recovery fabric-switchover command to disable the switchover and power down the module with the fabric synchronization error. 

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card