cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New at Cisco Trying to Get CCENT BGP Exterior and Interior Protocols

mnoote191
Level 1
Level 1

Just trying to get my CCENT I am making sure I understand everything I failed my Certification Once Just dont want to fail it again

Thank you I need help with quite a few concepts and understanding how this works or how they all work

I need help understanding the use of BGP and understanding the difference when interior and exterior protocols are being used. Also need help with understanding Autonomous System Number (ASN) what does this exactly do and accomplish. Also the difference between a Single Autonomous System and Different Autonomous Systems.

Also could explain to me why or when someone would choose to use one of the Interior Gateway Protocols over the other for instance RIP-1 over RIP-2 versus using IGRP or OSPF or EIGRP 

Thanks very much

Michael Noote
2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Michael,

BGP is a huge topic...I'm surprised they have you studying that for CCENT. But, in a nutshell the ASN determines what type of BGP it is. The same number between two peers means it's iBGP, and different ASN's means it's eBGP. The ASN is used for things such as loop prevention. By default, although it can be changed, a BGP router will drop traffic if it sees its own AS in the path. BGP uses something called AS Path and it represents the ASes that he prefix was learned from and the path it took to get to the router you're lookign at.

RIP1 and Ripv2 are both restricted to 15 hops. After that, the route is deemed dead. Ripv2 will send a mask to it's neighbors, but Ripv1 will not. That means that Rip1 will only see classful networks. Ripv2 can use vlsm because of it sending a mask.

EIGRP and OSPF are much better for larger networks. OSPF can be divided into areas and is a standard protocol meaning different vendors can use it. When you have a mix of Cisco and other vendors, like Dell, you can use OSPF to exchange routing information. EIGRP on the other hand is Cisco proprietary and only works between Cisco devices. EIGRP is based off of IGRP, but IGRP is no longer in existence and I doubt you'll ever see it.

HTH,

John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

mnoote191
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for help

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Michael Noote
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card