cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9500 special characters in passwords on CLI, doesn't like % sign

richh
Level 1
Level 1

While trying to use the CLI and a script to automate the transfer of code, the CLI seems to have a problem with the % sign and will not allow it in the CLI.

copy scp://username:Exam>PlE23%P@10.5.113.116/nxos.9.3.9.bin bootflash: vrf management
See attached photo

We have tried adding a \ in front of it, quotes, nothing works. Would prefer to not change the password as it's used in many automated scripts and systems.

richh_1-1669220069909.png

12 Replies 12

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Ref  : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus3000/sw/system_mgmt/503_U3_1/b_Cisco_n3k_System_Mgmt_Config_503_U3_1/b_Cisco_n3k_System_Mgmt_Config_503_U3_1_chapter_0110.pdf

>...Cisco Nexus 3000 Series passwords are case sensitive can contain alphanumeric characters only. Special
characters, such as the dollar sign ($) or the percent sign (%), are not allowed.

On the long run it  is still better to get rid of it.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Looks for me bug, best is rather changing for password, create new user for this instance and use it. or raise an TAC case if you dont like to do.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

richh
Level 1
Level 1

Ok so actually tried a new password, got rid of the % sign, and now the CLI command doesn't connect.

If I simply do the copy SCP: BOOTFLASH: command and answer the prompts it works. When I try to submit the request with the single CLI command it fails to connect. ssh: connect to host 10.5.113.116 port 22: Connection timed out

richh
Level 1
Level 1

N9K01# copy scp: bootflash:
Enter source filename: nxos.9.3.9.bin
Enter vrf (If no input, current vrf 'default' is considered): management
Enter hostname for the scp server: 10.5.113.216
Enter username: <NAME>
The authenticity of host '10.5.113.216 (10.5.113.216)' can't be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:Z+N5YW2pppE52YqSaReGYiZNeAEff/EHKQjxCwcT2zA.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '10.5.113.216' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
<NAME>@10.5.113.216's password:
nxos.9.3.9.bin 100% 1870MB 5.4MB/s 05:44
Copy complete, now saving to disk (please wait)...
Copy complete.
N9K01# copy scp://<NAME>:<PASS>@10.5.113.116/nxos.9.3.9.bin bootflash: vrf management
Warning: There is already a file existing with this name. Do you want to overwrite (y/n)?[n] y
ssh: connect to host 10.5.113.116 port 22: Connection timed out

how about for testing (is that works ?)

9K01# copy scp://<NAME>:<PASS>@10.5.113.116/nxos.9.3.9.bin bootflash:my.bin vrf management

BB

Nope, same results. Was a good idea though.

same results ? (can you explain more)

Do you have enough space locally ?

check with  - dir bootflash:

reading of your other post one of the IP you got success and copied ?

next one failing with below IP (are you trying 2 different SCP servers ?)

is this typo error of IP or  which one correct ?

BB

Wow.. Yeah I messed that up didn't I. .lol

Thanks for catching that. So I fixed the IP address to be 216 like it should and now it's re asking for my password even though it's in the CLI string.

Hope you resolve the issue with the correction, or are you still have the issue ?

if the resolved mark as resolved for the community users can use the same solution if they have one similar like yours.

BB

richh
Level 1
Level 1

Initial issue was resolved but now I am still unable to submit the download request without being prompted. Even though the info was already supplied in the CLI string.

the password it asked again you mean?

can you post full output.

BB

SWITCH_N9K01# copy scp://<NAME>:<PASSOWRD>@10.5.113.216/nxos.9.3.8.bin bootflash: vrf management
<NAME>@10.5.113.216's password:
scp: /nxos.9.3.8.bin: No such file or directory

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card